Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've had my share of eye poppers here and there just like everyone else but today was my first pull and check my shorts scares. Okay, so I'm at work and getting ready to buy a respro foggy mask online when I realize I don't have my wallet. So, I get nervous because I was over at sears earlier this morning doing some xmas shopping. I think to myself run home really quick to see if I left it there before I freak out. So i hop on the bike and take off. Make it home in no time and there's my wallet....whew. So I hop back on and head to work. Feels great out here today (70 degrees) so I'm pushing it going back to work. I'm making my normal left turn as always going about 35 to 45 mph....like always when I realize the whole damn bike is sliding. Now I'm scared as hell and the only thing I can think if is highsiding. So, I roll on the throttle even more hoping to get some traction in the rear and then I can feel it finally catching so I roll hard as hell on the throttle (told you i was scared of highsiding) and the damn front end comes up. Now mind you all of this is going on while making a left turn. Now I think about it - it was kind of fun but at the moment I thought I was going to have a damn heart attack. Any way, just wanted to share. Didn't have anyone else to tell this story to.

·
Registered
546 Posts
That's what we are here for! Glad you pulled out of it! You did the right thing giving it the gas though. A lot of people (including me probably) would have let off and eaten [censored]. Maybe not so much next time though! :waytogo:

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
Glad things worked out OK, but, in a situation like that--where the rear loses traction in a turn--if you keep rolling on the throttle like you describe, you will highside. Instead, hold a steady throttle and pick (straighten) the bike up. :waytogo:

·
Registered
546 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
south said:
Glad things worked out OK, but, in a situation like that--where the rear loses traction in a turn--if you keep rolling on the throttle like you describe, you will highside. Instead, hold a steady throttle and pick (straighten) the bike up. :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I was told in the MSF to give it a little more gas in a slide as long as the wheel is still spinning. The only time to not give gas is if you lock the rear wheel. Then just keep it locked. Maybe I got confused. Anyone else know?

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
No problem, just my 2 cents. Now if you lose/lost the front only in a turn, opening the throttle will typically help by transferring weight from the (overloaded and sliding) front tire to the (larger contact patch of the) rear tire.

Zafzo--once the rear loses traction and steps out of line, it is important to keep it spinning, until you can straighten out the bike/get the front and rear tires in line again. If the rear tire regains traction while the bike is still out of shape (sideways), the thing will spit you off in a heartbeat. And the more sideways/out of shape the bike gets, the more likely the rear will hook up and highside you--which is exactly what will happen if you apply more throttle to a tire that already doesn't have traction. (unless you completely spin the bike out and lowside).

The idea is to hold a steady throttle, keeping the tire spinning but not making it any worse, and pick the bike up so you can get the thing pointed straight so when the rear hooks up everything's cool. :waytogo:

·
Registered
546 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
south said:
No problem, just my 2 cents. Now if you lose/lost the front only in a turn, opening the throttle will typically help by transferring weight from the (overloaded and sliding) front tire to the (larger contact patch of the) rear tire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe that is what I was thinking. Although now I'm confused. Questions to follow:

1. Only rear wheel is sliding in a turn but is still spinning. What to do?

2. Only front wheel is sliding. What to do?

3. Both are sliding and rear is still spinning. What to do?

4. Rear is sliding and NOT spinning. I know this one you keep the back wheel locked.

·
Registered
5,621 Posts
You're too fast for me, see my edited post above. :wink:

And there are different scenarios depending on whether you're on the brakes or on the gas.

Your #4 describes a situation that occurs when on the rear brake, and you give the textbook MSF solution.

That leaves #3. Answer: when both slide...well, you're f*cked then. :laugh: (actually, same as in a rear slide: steady throttle and pick it up. :waytogo:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts