Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my '02 9R, when I ride at speed my temperature gauge indicates ~150 F or so plus or minus several degrees. When I ride at slow speed through parking lots or let the bike idle for a couple minutes after riding, I get 198 F. Is this too hot? It just seems a little high.

The frog will fly at midnight.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Nope...it's not a problem. Usually the fan won't even kick on until it hits like 220 or 240 or something...The coolant raises the boiling point of the liquid above 212F. Plus the system is under pressure, so it won't "boil off" unless it gets a LOT hotter. Don't worry about it unless the high temp light comes on.

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

·
Registered
633 Posts
Yep, quite normal. If your '02 ZX9R has less than a couple of thousand miles on it, it will run slightly warmer than a broke-in motor. Plus if you are just riding in a parking lot, the speeds will not be high enough to force air through the radiator fast enough to cool it too far below what the radiator fan would normally come on at, which is 220F on the ZX9R.

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
If I saw 198 on my temp guage I would be really worried /images/icons/shocked.gif but then again my temp guage is in Celsius /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
heheh. ok thanks guys. my last bike was air-cooled with no temperature gauge. i just got spooked easily. /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
How do you like the 9R now that you've got 600 miles on it?

Mine's still waiting in the garage patiently with 48km's on it /images/icons/frown.gif

Supposed to be up to +12 this weekend though so I should be able to put some serious km's on it /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
up to 6krpm's its got a nice amount of power. you can hit ~94 mph at 6k in 6th. it's very rideable and pulls very hard. the front wheel comes up real easy. it is a very reassuring bike to ride. feels rock solid around corners. im not pushing it very hard, but the tire is scuffed to within 1/4" or less of the edge. that extra 2krpm makes all the difference in the world. you wont need more than that around town....if you are law abiding that is./images/icons/smile.gif
i think 2nd takes you to about ~55mph at 6krpm. i don't recall exactly, since i rarely sit at 6krpm in 2nd in town or on the highway. /images/icons/wink.gif

very nice though. im going to take it out and kill those last 380 miles.

hey, arent you supposed to be getting a wetsuit? LOL

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
A wetsuit? lol.. ya, I could have used it on Friday. I went out for a quick ride. It was +1C brrr..... /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
ALright, you guys need to quit talking about your new ZX9s. I am going to cry. I want mine so bad, but I am waiting until the fall. I need a little more experience on mine that I have. Until then just try and refrain from rubbing it in my face.

Just messing. Keep talking about how they perform. I love to hear what you think.

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
*whispers quietly to Viper so PBR can't hear*
let's go talk about our new bikes in another thread so PBR can't hear. heheh.

*winks*

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
*thwack zx6r*
wise @$$. heheh. i rode through a parking lot on the way home and it rose from 146 to 198. thats why i was wondering what the heck was up. just surprised me that there was such a large differential in so short a time. /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
388 Posts
I was just bustin' ya. hehehe
It will raise that fast though with no
air moving across the radiator. That is until the fan kicks in. /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
You can't run from me Electro. I will find you.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!
Ok I am done now.

I Burn Dust and You Can Eat my rubber!!!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I know my 12 runs warm.
I bet the fan will be on all the time in the summer.

You guys need to get out there and ride.
I have 1000+miles on my 12 in less than 42degree weather.
Just had to get her broke in.
Not there yet, but getting really close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts