Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
190/50 BT010 and +1/-1 sprockets for the 12.

I just ordered a set of BT010s for my 12s. The OE 207ZR in back is completing squared off, and showing cord. The bike turns like crap now and quite unsafe. So I finally quit riding it and ordered a set of Bridgestones. I ordered a 190 for the rear to see if it reduces the steering effort.

Also ordered a hard anodized aluminium 47 tooth rear sprocket and a 17 front, as opposed to the 46/18 which is OE.

Oh yeah, also an LP head stock stand. Now, other than adjusting cables, tightening various nuts and bolts etc, I am all set.

Only thing is, I'd really like that eccentric throttle pulley from the '02 12 but its not a seperate part. Its sold only as part of the throttle body assembly. Bummer. I wonder if the aftermarket will do something about this.

I am thinking that I should also get a PC3 and get it tuned on the dyno. Improved ridability is whats on my mind. But not for a while yet.

Well, once the bike hits the road again after the servince, tyres, and sprockets, I'll post impression.s

If I am happy with the 190, I might even go down to a 180 next time.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Re: 190/50 BT010 and +1/-1 sprockets for the 12.

You will most certainly be happy with the 190, the thing with the 010's, is that their 190 is essentially the width a 180 in other manufacturers tires. I have a 190 on my R1 and a 180 on my 'bird and the difference in width is literally nothing.

So basically what I'm saying is the 190 will probably be perfect for you, at least with the 010's.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

That is definately an interesting experiment Sho.
I know I am waiting to hear your opinions.

"I wanna be a Kawboy baby... with the throttle rolled back and the front wheel flyin'..."

·
Registered
221 Posts

Shotimer,

I've read many times that a 190 rear improves the turn-in on 12s.

In England, insurance has got so petty and difficult to come by, there is talk that fitting a 190 rear would invalidate your policy as the bike is then non-standard. Same applies with race cans/systems. Don't know if you have the same situation -hope you don't.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts

Sho - weren't you the one saying that the 12R had too much power for you anyway? "...almost never go full throttle", etc??? /images/icons/smile.gif /images/icons/smile.gif

I swear that was you. Weren't you even talking about selling it because it was really just more bike than you needed or wanted???

BA
"<font color=blue>How about never, is never good for you??</font color=blue>"

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

It was indeed me. And I have not changed my tune. I still rarely use full throttle on the bike. I am looking to address what I consider its short coming. I.e., a particularly peaky engine. Its insanely fast if you spin it and give it big gobs of throttle, but compared to its high rpm, large throttle insanity, its really mild at small throttle openings.

Not only is it peaky, its throttle behaviour is not optimal. TO get good acceleration at 5000rpm, you need to open the throttle a LOT. THe one thing that I really liked about the Busa was that while its max accel was not more than the 12, it had a great characteristic of accelerating powerfully when the throttle was cracked open just a little bit.

I'd like to be able to tap more of the ZX-12s potential without having to be going WFO all the time. I figure that the gearing drop will help me plenty there. This is also why I want that eccentric throttle pulley from the '02. It allows the throttles to be opened very gently at small openings, but opens them much faster at larger openings. Again, I am not seeking max power or max accel. I am looking to get ballsier performance without having to go WFO.

Mind you, I have installed no power enhancing modifications on the bike. Thats not my goal. It is to make the performance much more accessible, more usable. Thats the one area where the Busa has the 12 beaten.

__

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

Part of that feeling Sho will be the displacement difference
between the 12 and the busa. The extra 100cc really helps
in this area. Not that you can't make your 12 better.

I'm interested in what you accomplish, and may be interested
in copying some of your ideas and mods, if they indeed do
work out for the better.
I guess the only way to know for sure is to try it.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: 190/50 BT010 and 1/-1 sprockets for the 12.

I think its as much displacement as its things like tuning of cams etc. The Busa is down on peak power compared to the 12, but its power and torqe advantage 3000-8000 rpm is HUGE. over lay dyno charts for a 12 and a busa and you'll see the Busa is making gobs more grunt at 5000rpm. If you thrash both bikes, the 12 is just as fast. But the busa is more effortlessly fast. It makes power everywhere. regardless of rpm, regardless of gear, regardless of how much throttle you've opened, it hauls. The 12 needs work to go fast.

Like I said, I am not looking for maximum acceleration. The 12 has more of that than I can use. What I am looking for is to be able to get strong performance without having to thrash the bike. Its all about how much acceleration you get when you open the throttle a little bit more. Not a lot more. a little bit more. Its about how strong the bike feels without your having to work to it.

Now mind you, this is all relative. The 12 is effortlessly faster than just about everything out there. But not the Busa. The busa engine is in a class of its own.

__

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Re: 190/50 BT010 and 1/-1 sprockets for the 12.

Part of that could also be design philosophy of the bikes.
Wasn't the busa's moto when it first arrived
"effortless performance"??

I have ridden a busa and I know that it just pulls all the
time. It never seems to be working hard, and yet is
always fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts