Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
17\" Front Wheel Mod

Does anyone know about putting a 17" wheel into a 1998 CBR900 RR-W? NC30 (VFR400) and VFR800 wheels have been mentioned. One problem is that the discs are dirrent to earlier models (bigger, 320mm)on the 98 'Blade and this causes probs with the NC30 route. VFR800 wheel is slightly too wide on the disc mountings on the hub and needs a small amount of machining (I'm told) but I do not know how much. Has anyone done the change or have any experience of this? (good or otherwise!)

Faster, faster, faster!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Re: 17\" Front Wheel Mod

I used a front rim from a 1998 F3, and the rotors of my 1997 blade. Works great, other than the better selection of tires there was little or no handling difference.

I did'nt buy it to ride the speed limit

·
Registered
27 Posts

The f3 front rim doesn't just bolt on to a 98 cbr900rr. In 98 honda changed the front rotors and the distance between the fork tubes. In order to use a f3 front rim you need extra spacers for thr axle and an adaptor for the rotors. The ID of the rotor carrier is much larger than the f3 hub. Also the bolt pattern is different. On the 98 900rr the 17in. front rim makes a huge differance. The handling is much quicker. If you are really intrested in this set-up I have an F3 front rim for sale w/ all the adaptors already there minus the rotors. You'ld have to send me your rotors and I'ld modify them to fit the F3's bolt pattern.If you are intrested email me.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Here's a pic of the rim you can see the extraset of bolt holes in the rotors and if you look close you can see the spacer needed to mount the rotors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts