Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking the second week of May off and heading out with two friends on a Mille and 929. We heading out through Penn, W. Virgina, Virgina, Tenn, N. Carolina, Ohio and Kentucky. It will be blast to get out on the Blueridge and Deals Gap + many other great roads! I can't wait!! This is what biking is all about......

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
How come I get this feeling that the last line in the post was 'nah-nah-n-nah-nah' !! Man, that sounds like fun and has got me looking at the map and thinking Idaho pan handle/Montana week ride. HMMMMM.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Sweet! Sounds like a good time. I need to do a bike trip soon.

Just found out I'm getting let go mid may. Gonna be able to collect a little over $400 a week with unemployement, and the g\f is going to be working for the summer making good moneys. Gonna get rid of my car and get my monthly payments as low as I can, and then ride for the summer. This lay off couldn't have come at a better time. At first I was pissed, now I'm excited about the prospect of a vacation, and then a new start. Now if mich-st will just let me tag along on this road trip...

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Mitch, sounds like a good time in the making.
Since you'll be in VA. look up hwy 16 from Tazewell,VA to Marion,VA. If you can incorporate it in your trip do it.
It's one of those "vehicles in excess of 35 feet prohibited" roads. It's like a longer version of the Gap. You can stay on 16 all the way to the BRP if that's your direction of travel.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Sounds like fun for you Mich, but your buddies may be hurtin' by day 8. Ah, the pleasures of a true sporttourer :)

2002 Triumph Sprint ST
World Storehouse of useless Knowledge

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reponse, na na na! Just kidding! It will be a great trip. Your right about the virtues of a sport-tourer, but my other friends really tough it out. The nice thing is at the end of the day, I am feeling great, the others, well a few beers and a good nights rest will straighten it out.

Well, good riding to you guys. I have a digital camera this time, so some good pic's will be on the agenda.
Serp, How far is the road you mentioned out of the way?, we are heading towards N. Carolina at the point in the trip

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

How far is the road you mentioned out of the way?

<hr></blockquote>

Without knowing your itinerary I can't say but 16 is on the western tip of VA. It crosses into NC before it gets to the BRP about 100 miles from Asheville, NC.
Grab your Virginia map and see if you can use it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Serp, Thanks for the tip! I will get out the old Rand McNally atlas and look it up.

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
2 Posts
That sounds like a great trip. Deal's gap is a lot of fun. If you are there on the weekend, there are lots of other riders from all over so it is a little like being in the pits at a roadrace. The Blue ridge is really beautiful - for about 15 miles (pick any 15, they are all good). However, you will quickly grow tired of the 35 mile speed limit, the unforgiving National Park Service Rangers and all of the gawkers with Florida plates. Try the unnumbered back roads - they are a lot more fun.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts

when are you getting a Triumph??

<hr></blockquote>

No Triumph for me, I'm not in that tax bracket.

You seem to be spending a lot of time in here

<hr></blockquote>

That's because I'm an equal opportunity offender./images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

No Triumph for me, I'm not in that tax bracket.

<hr></blockquote>

I think you've mistaken us for that ducati crowd. I got my RS for 7,500 out the door, I think others around here have gotten theirs for less. A little more than your Kawi, but not break the bank more.

That's because I'm an equal opportunity offender.

<hr></blockquote>

So that's what you're calling yourself these days?? /images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tom595, I did not have too many problems last October when I went to Deals. They was not allot of traffic, but it was not vacation season. Thanks for the tip. We plan to take as many great backroads as possible.

Triumph Sprint ST

1 - 14 of 14 Posts