Sportbike Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
05\' 6R VS. 05\' 6RR

So I am reading up on the specs of these two bikes and I really don't come across much of a difference other then the CC's and in the suspension. There are minor things in weight and height but those aren't even over an inch.

Here are the specs:

ZX6r AKA "636"
Engine: Four-Stroke Inline 4-cylinder, DOHC, 16 valves
Displacement: 636cc
Starting: Electric
Bore x Stroke: 68 x 43.8mm
Compression ratio: 12.9:1
Cooling: Liquid
Carburetion: Fuel injection with (4) 38 mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital
Transmission: Six-speed with multi-disc back-torque imiting clutch
Frame: Twin spar aluminum
Rake / trail: 25 degrees / 4.2 in.
Frontsusepnsion: 41mm inverted cartridge fork with rebound and compression damping, plus spring preload adjustability and top-out springs
Rear suspension: Bottom-link UNI-TRAk with gas-charged shock, compression and rebound damping, spring preload adjustability and top-out spring
Wheel Travel, front / rear: 4.7 / 5.3 in.
Front tire: 120/65zr17
Rear tire: 180/55zr17
Front brakes: Dual semi-floating 300mm petal discs with dual radial-mounted, four-piston calipers
Rear brake: Single 220mm petal disc with single-caliper piston
Overall length: 81.3 in.
Overall width: 28.1 in.
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Dry weight: 362 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 54.7 in

ZX6RR
Engine: Four-Stroke Inline 4-cylinder, DOHC, 16 valves
Displacement: 599cc
Starting: Electric
Bore x Stroke: 67 x 42.5mm
Compression ratio: 13.9:1
Cooling: Liquid
Carburetion: Fuel injection with (4) 38 mm throttle bodies
Ignition: Digital
Transmission: Six-speed with multi-disc back-torque imiting clutch
Frame: Twin spar aluminum
Rake / trail: 25.5 degrees / 4.3 in.
Frontsusepnsion: 41mm inverted cartridge fork with TiSiCN coating on inner fork tube, rebound and compression damping, plus spring preload adjustability and top-out springs
Rear suspension: Bottom-link UNI-TRAK with gas-charged shock, stepless high-speed damping, click-type low-speed compression damping and click-type rebound damping, spring preload adjustability and top-out spring
Wheel Travel, front / rear: 4.7 / 5.3 in.
Front tire: 120/65zr17
Rear tire: 180/55zr17
Front brakes: Dual semi-floating 300mm petal discs with dual radial-mounted, four-piston calipers
Rear brake: Single 220mm petal disc with single-caliper piston
Overall length: 81.7 in.
Overall width: 28.1 in.
Seat height: 32.3 in.
Dry weight: 361.6 lbs.
Fuel capacity: 4.5 gal.
Wheelbase: 55.1 in.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Re: 05\' 6R VS. 05\' 6RR

pretty much the engine size is the thing with them , the single R is a better suited street bike .

·
Registered
2,180 Posts

Just with a quick look, the RR seems to have nicer suspension bits (Ti coated forks, high and low speed comp damping for the rear).

The R has a slipper clutch now - that used to be just on the RR.

The engine is the big difference.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

Holy crapoly! Is that a typo or is the compression on the 6RR really 13.9:1? I thought you couldn't go much beyond 13 on pump gas...

·
Registered
38 Posts

Yeah the last years models had the slipper clutch which a lot of people wanted, but now both bikes have them. Another big thing is the fact that the 636 is released about a month earlier than the 6RR. Im waiting for the 6RR. They have a better resale and they look better with the solid green color, compared to the green and bloack on the ZX6R.
Suspension is better, but for a street bike you will be plenty happy with the 6R.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

I know the '04 6RR got dual injectors (my '03 6RR only has one per cylinder). The '05 6RR is a continuing development of the '04 engine. Does the '05 636 have dual injectors?

None of this matters unless you're racing (and in the top 10), but it's interesting trivia.

[ QUOTE ]
Holy crapoly! Is that a typo or is the compression on the 6RR really 13.9:1? I thought you couldn't go much beyond 13 on pump gas...

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the race kit. Thinner head and base gaskets raise the CR even more! (I asked. Not for pump gas.)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok, I tried to do some reading up on the Slipper Clutch and it right over my head.

Do you have to wait for lower RPM's in a certain gear to downshift? Or can you just downshift at whatever the Rev's are at?

Sorry, this is a whole new thing to me.

AV8OR, you will have to show me on the MILLE

·
Registered
2,810 Posts

If you quickly downshift and the rpms don’t match on a bike without a back torque limiter you rear wheel will lock up and “chatter” as it skips across the pavement. A back torque limiter, or slipper clutch, allows the clutch to “slip” until the rpms from the engine can be handled by the transmission.

In other words if you downshift without matching rpm (by bliping the throttle) your rear tire will not lock up. It will “slip.”

·
Registered
1,630 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
c-not-k said:
Get the race kit. Thinner head and base gaskets raise the CR even more! (I asked. Not for pump gas.)

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to pull the head on the 10 I'd think about it...it's one of the popular mods, though.

·
Registered
95 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
evander said:
If you quickly downshift and the rpms don’t match on a bike without a back torque limiter you rear wheel will lock up and “chatter” as it skips across the pavement. A back torque limiter, or slipper clutch, allows the clutch to “slip” until the rpms from the engine can be handled by the transmission.

In other words if you downshift without matching rpm (by bliping the throttle) your rear tire will not lock up. It will “slip.”

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I've heard about tire chatter from downshifting without matching engine speed a couple of times, but I have never experienced it. Can someone describe a little more in depth on how to properly downshift?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

Disclaimer: I'm still a newb and learning, so anyone please feel free to correct any mistakes.

1) Roll off the gas.
2) Pull in the clutch.
3) Downshift.
4) Apply some (blip) throttle.
5) Ease out the clutch.
6) Apprly regular throttle.

My question: how much throttle is considered a "blip"? 2k revs? 3k?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts

a blip is just enough throttle to raise the engine rpm to match the speed of the rear wheel. It is done very quickly right before the clutch is let out. Engine rpm will vary depending on speed and what gear you are in. It takes a bit of practice but if it is done right you can downshift quickly without disturbing the bike's suspension with excessive rear wheel braking (or hopping)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.