Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kawi-Junkies:

My pal just bought an 02 ZX6 and they are saying his breaking levels are 4k rpm and then 6k rpm.

Do you think this is healthy for a bike that likes to scream?

Opinions please.

-jp

·
Registered
388 Posts
YES! They tell you that for a reason. You need to wear in the rings and valve seats among other things before you can scream it out. A couple thousand RPM's over might not hurt (I did it/images/icons/blush.gif)but keep it near the recommended RPM's.
You don't want a loose engine, or a broken one for that matter.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
zx6r-02891:

I had a 01 GSXR750 and the limits where 7k and 10k ... that was reasonable. Why the low limits on the ZX6? Is it because its a Kawi?

-jp

·
Registered
633 Posts
This has been talked about many times, but the answers from everyone will vary. Most people will recommend that you DO NOT run it to redline until broke-in. I agree mostly!

What I typically do is keep the revs to a max of 4k for the first 100 miles, which will include at least three riding periods where the engine has to completely cool and heat up between. Then, for the next 100 miles I will shift at 5k-6k rpm's, cruising at max at 4k rpm's. For the next 600 miles or so I vary the revs as much as possible to a max of 9k rpm's for a 600cc motor, cruising max at 6k rpm's though, anything above 6k should be extremely quick and short. At 800 miles on the clock, or more, I will do an infrequent rev to redline, maybe 3 or 4 times over the next 200 miles. At 1000 miles it should be fine for full rpm duty, but change the oil. Don't go racing the hell out of it for another 500 miles or so.

I'm Not a Pessimist, I'm a Realist!
Kaaaawwww Waaaaaaa Saaaaaaa Kiiiiii

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's cool. I spoke to many people on the issue when I was breaking mine in, and the majority said to keep it around what Kawi recommends. I've heard other people race them right out of the box, but they usually end up with serious engine problems down the line. Like I said though
a couple of throttle blips up to 7 or 8k probably wouldn't hurt it. Just don't hold it there.
It seems unfair to ride such a fast machine so slow, but it pays off.............BIG! /images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
51 Posts
Everbody has different views. For race bikes, we run them for 50 miles at under 10,000 RPM (on a track) and after that we go for it. So far all 5 bikes done this way are strong runners with all of them over 108 HP with a pipe and jet kit.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
That being said do you think that the breakin recomendations from the factory are assuming the bike is going to be ridden on the street in traffic with a lot of stops and starts? I wonder how the break-in would change if the factory knew that the bike was going to be raced on the track?

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
@viper: thats an interesting question. i was told by my dealer (who is racing too) that best is to keep it at recommended revs while cruising, accelerate quite often with lots of shifting and then going about 25% the rec. revs up, and to drive it up as many hills i can, so the engine is running at high power-output.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts