Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden 150 miles today on the twistiest roads Leicestershire and Lincolnshire have to offer (trust me they're good if you don't know) and the bikes proving to be a superb all-round package.

The handling is good, I'm still getting used to it but I'm within 1/4" of the edge of my rear tyre albeit my front shows a bit more clean tyre at the edges, guess I'll have to start braking a bit later as I get the measure of the bike.

Comfort is excellent compared to a GSXR and it doesn't feel like a heavy bike to me, certainly not compared to a gixer 11 of yore.

The bike's thretening to be very quick, but I'm supposed to stay below 4000rpm till 500 miles. I've squirted up to 6000rpm at times and used some large throttle openings to make sure it's getting enough of a working to prevent the bores glazing before the rings are bedded in, but at those revs its only really starting to threaten.

What's beyond question is that if you want to ride lazy V-twin style it's got usable traction from as little as 2000rpm so you could travel very fast along a twistie road never leaving top gear if you were in the mood to concentrate solely on your lines.

Gearbox seems a bit clunky but I think thats because the input shaft is spinning so slow due to the ridiculously low break-in rev limit.

Early days yet, but promising to be exactly what I was looking for and for anyone who wants power, handling, comfort and practicality (it's got a clock and a luggage space under the seat for God's sake) I doubt there's a bike to touch it.

Now before you think I've gone all green, the best in-line 4 sports bike's still blue and the best V-twin is still black, silver and red.

I'll write again at 500 miles-plus if anyone's interested. If anyone's thinking of buying one and they have any questions I'll do my best to help.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm green with envy and want to hear more, keep posting and enjoy the new stead.

"They mostly come out at night, mostly" -Aliens-

·
Registered
325 Posts
You are a very lucky man.
I've just got a brand new bike (954), but I would defenitly buy a zx-12r if I just didn't live is an Island!
I'm very interested in your impressions when you start opening the throttle to the full.
Still it's great to know that the bike's handling is good.
There's nothing worse than a bike that doesn't turn, or even if it's just hard to turn.
Good luck, ride safe, wear your gear and "beware of the caged ones!".

·
Registered
388 Posts
Congrat's on the new ride! I know Kawi recommends the under 4,000 rpm break-in, but I kept mine between 5000-6000 for the first 50 miles with no problems. Never for more that a few miles though.
I just felt it wasn't fair to bike!/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I just passed 800 kms on my new '01 12 this weekend.
I got to see 6000 rpm on Saturday.

I agree I like the handling of the bike so far, and it
does not seem to be as heavy as my last 11, and I do not
think it seems any heavier than the busa, or bird either.
(Not sure about if it really feels lighter either.)
I need the weather to warm up a bit to really test the
handling though. I have been hesitant to really lean it
over in the corners, and curves, when riding in 38-42 degree
weather. I am developing a nice set of "chicken strips",
and with not that many nice twisty roads around, I may
be a long time trying to get rid of them, if I ever really
do. I hope to soon though.

Believe me this bike is quick. When you open up from 4
to 6k rpm, that is when I realized, man this thing is really
starting to pick up speed, but then I have to let off the
gas. I can't wait for 9k.

I am also pleased with how easy it is to ride the 12 slow.
Get her in 6th gear and use the thottle as a speed dial.
No shifting, just twist the wrist and go, let off, and slow
down. Nice lazy riding. My new Throttlemeisters also help
for the long leisurely ride down the highway.

The gearbox is a bit clunky, not really sure why.
I have heard that changing to different oils, and time,
will help the gearbox smooth out a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just brought home one of them beasts myself, and your right, very smooth. I haven't been able to ride it much yet due to the [email protected]#$ing snow but I did get it out once. I thought that the gear box in mine was extremely smooth, much nicer than my RF900R's gear box. And the roll on power is amazing..
Congrats. It is a beautiful bike.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Gearbox smoothness could be relative to what bike you
are comparing it to. My 12 is not too rough shifting,
but I have ridden bikes with smoother gearboxes.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
yes, the 12's gearshift is adequate and thats about it. The Busa's for example is really crisp and shifts very positively, very precisely. I wish the 12 shifted like the busa does.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm comparing it to Suzuki gearboxes which by all accounts have a reputation as very good. Also I suppose a 750 box will be lighter than a 1200. Having said that I heard a ZX6R take off from a set of traffic lights the other day and there was a similar clunk as he changed into second.

I have taken the bike on the odd excursion to 6000rpm and it shows great promise, but frankly I need a lot more than that before I'll be impressed. But I'm not worried because it's obviously there if only I can be patient enough.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well I can speak for the first 6k rpm range.
Very impressive.
Hope by this week to be in the 9k stage of breakin.
First service is done. No problems.
I did find a couple of loose bolts when I gave it the once
over after I brought it home. Nothing major, just
fairing screws mostly.
Can't wait to see what she can really do.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sabre,

the '02 model doesn't have a 9k period just 4 to 500 miles and 6 to 1000. I reckon I'll do something more like 4 to 500, 6 to 800, 9 to 1000 and then full chat thereafter.

These things produce more torque than a V-twin throughout the rev range - eat your heart out Ducati.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ah, I knew the 02 breakin was shorter, so that is the
difference.

Torque wise there is no replacement for displacement.
The 12 has plenty.

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
without even riding one, i know that a zx12r would impress the hell outta me, but i would never get one, nothing bigger than 1000....ever, for me at least, i don't really mind shifting hehe, thats why i ride a 6 right now.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Willie,

I've been a gixer 750 nut for 12 years so I've been the same in the past. But with the 12 you've got options: screw it to 12k for the ultimate in acceleration, or ride it between 6 and 9 a la the V-twin boys for lazier torquey sports riding, or go all the way to top gear only touring. This thing pulls cleanly from 2000rpm in top which means you can travel between 35mph and 190mph in one gear!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
That 6th gear touring is really impressive isn't it.
I don't know about 35mph, but 45-50 mph for a low,
all the way to the top.
No shifts needed. And it still pulls not bad.
No shifts needed to pass most of the time.
Nice.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The '02s got remapped FI which may make it better at low revs - don't know. But I can vouch for 35mph because I'm riding 2000 - 4000rpm everywhere at the minute and that's 35-70mph in 6th gear.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
my '00 won't pull cleanly from 2000rpm in 6th. it bucks and lugs. However, i suspect its mostly to do with FI tuning, not the ability of the engine.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI,
KEV HERE FROM BANGOR NORTH WALES. BOUGHT MY 02 12R FROM GEORGE WHITES IN SWINDON. SO RODE IT HOME TO BANGOR 22O MILES, WOT A BIKE SEX ON WHEELS, HAD A SUZI 1000 BEFORE AND A 7R BEFORE THAT, BUT YOU CANT TOUCH THIS BABE, FOR SPEED LOOKS AND ALL ROUND GREATNESS, TURN HEADS DOES IT, IVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY PEOPLE TURN AND LOOK AT IT WHEN IVE GONE PAST, ITS BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I SEEN PEOPLE LOOK AT A BIKE LIKE THAT . THEY WERE EVEN POINTING AT IT IN CARS GOING PAST.WASNT ME CRAP RIDING EITHER LOL.GOT A BIT OF VIBRATION AT 4000 REVS, SPOT ON 70 MPH. HAVE ORDERED A LASER HOT CAM FULL SYSTEM AND POWER COMM 3. FOR IT , I BOUGHT THE BLACK AND GOLD COLOUR, AND IT SPARKLES IN THE SUN, HANDY IF YOUR IN CALI LOL. BUT IT LOOKS REAL NICE.ONLY MOAN IS THE WIREING INSIDE THE ENGINE, JUNCTION BOX THING JUST HANGING THERE.COULD TRY TO MAKE TEMP PLATES FOR THE SIDES. APART FROM THAT GRIPE ITS FANTASTIC.CATCH YOU SOON. KEV.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I test rode one today. The dealer is looking for a blue one for me.. gotta have the blue! I absolutely am in love with it. A perfect bike for what I want. I got approved for the Kawasaki "no down, no payments for 6 months, and low payments for 18 months after that" deal. I'll have it in about a week.

Can't wait.

I'm in the mood for moist, moist cake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts