Sportbike Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday April 6th, 2002
Hallett Raceway, OK

I had a great time racing for a win at Hallett last weekend and just missed a win by 5-7 bike lengths each race. The Triumph ran great and the winner, on a Ducati 996, mentioned, "man, that Triumph sure is fast". I managed to finish 2nd in both races, so it was a pretty good outing.

FYI, there's a little longer write up at our website below for those who are interested.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MuZ Skorpion
AHRMA #919
http://communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRacingTeam/

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MZ
AHRMA #919
communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRacingTeam/

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Congrats on the great finish! Moving up in the Ranks fast on the Triumph. I have a big Ducati Fan as a friend and sent some info to him on your racing exploits. He did not think a Daytona would be competitive against a 996. The arguement is moot now, thanks!

Triumph Sprint ST

·
Registered
944 Posts
Great results! Keep pluggin' at it, soon the Duc will be eating your dust

2002 Triumph Sprint ST
World Storehouse of useless Knowledge

·
Registered
225 Posts
Fabulous!!! Congrats to you and Triumph both. Nice to be "on the map!" Thanks for keeping us posted.

Nugget'01 Sprint RS

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching me!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Keep up the great work, I have plenty of faith in the Daytona. I just had "goober" (since we cant flame anyone i'll just call him what he is) over in the Suzuki post try to tell me the Daytona is at the bottom of the food chain of motorcycles, anyway, that stuff always cracks me up when you can light someone up so easily by telling them about the real world.

Anyway, if you guys are interested, Josh Norem from Motorcyclist is in a few of the post's, mostly the Suzuki forum. He has some pretty interesting stuff to talk about, check it out!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Congrats on the improving race results. Good to hear that someone is raising the Triumph flag for us.

Pretty interesting thread over on the Suzook forum. Leave it to wildRS to jump into the deep fast waters! I did get a laugh out of Josh's remark on fast street riding.

' FirstGoing fast on the street is usually due to one thing: Balls/stupidity '

Another point Josh made that seems to fall on deaf ears or is totally missed by those who make up their minds based upon a mag review is raw HP numbers vs power delivery.

' Horsepower is obviously an important trait, but I think it's makes more sense than to judge an engine in its entirety rather than solely by its output. Is it smooth, does it rev quickly, what is the powerband like, etc. Those factors are just as important as raw power, as in most classes the horsepower numbers are usually pretty close. '

Check out the thread, definetly an interesting read.

http://esport.sportbikes.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=Suzuki&Number=39057&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I agree I don't think for 1 minute that my bike sucks because it doesn't out power the BIG 4...........LOL I have passed bikes from 400-1300 on my 955I and my CBR 400RR, which by the way only has 50 horse power stock.........LOL

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! We plan to stay the course and run the Sound of Thunder class for the remainder of 2002.

The quotes you guys mentioned in the Suzuki forum agree 100% with my take on bikes and riding. All the fun went out of fast street riding once I turned a wheel on the track. I really thought I was fast on the street but was humbled very quickly at the track. Now I ride less than 500-1000 miles a year on the street which is due mainly to my race bikes are my street bikes. The bikes are always ready for the track but not for the street, plus with the Triumph I'd have to switch from slicks to DOT tires.

The total power band of an engine is really important. My little 49hp MZ Skorpion is so easy to ride on the track. Since the thing is a thumper with a torque curve a mile wide gear selection isn't that critical to a fast lap. It's nice because you can just concentrate on getting the throttle open early in the corner for a good drive down the next straight.

Bruce Brown
02 Triumph Daytona
97 MZ
AHRMA #919
communities.msn.com/BackRoadsRacingTeam/

·
Registered
11 Posts
I saw that and had to jump over here to see what is going on!
I went from a 99 zx-9 with a muzzy big bore kit, an 00 R-1, graves full exhaust, attack airbox, ivans needles etc, to the GSXR1000, geez what a bunch of false advertising, I expected a rocket, but compared to the previous bikes, the wait for the power to come on at 9000 revs, you could have lunch waiting for the power to come on! I finally went to the Mille for the instant low and mid range.
It's great to see someone racing a Daytona. At the track I see plenty of TT600's passing all the gixxer guys in the corners, and they are not far behind the liter bikes in the straights.
Go kick some more booty with that daytona!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts