1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone I know thinks I am nuts.
I have had my bike 10 days now, and just hit
1700km this morning. The weather has been cold
and wet, but I have been riding every chance I get.
And I mean every. In the morning before work, after work,
or commute to work, errands, etc.
(140km daily commute really adds kms fast)
Wife even accused me of spending more time with the bike
than her.

I've changed the oil twice, including once at the first
service. Running Motul semi-synthetic now.

This morning on the way to work was the first time
I was able to open her up to 9k.
It was cold (28degrees), so I let her go once, but couldn't
sustain that speed, I would have froze.
(Gonna be 60degrees on my way home from work though woohoo!)

I pulled away from a corner as usual, clicked into 2nd,
then 3rd, and then WFO.

I have ridden a lot of bikes, and all I can say is WOW!!!
I was so right, the motor is just getting up to speed
and starting to really pull at 6k, on the way to 9k
it really gains steam. And I mean really.

I am certain I have never felt a street bike pull harder.

The sound as air rushes into the intake.
The sound of the exhaust as the low growl intensifies
to a new level.
The rush of the acceleration.
-Blip the throttle, shift up to 4th-
and the rush continues

(Can you tell I missed my last bike?)

Yes I chose the right bike.
This thing is amazing.
I still lose my breath everytime I look at it and
think "That is my bike". And I always get a silly
grin on my face just thinking of the next ride.

I'm smiling just thinking about it.

I realized something though.
I need to find more winding roads.
And some warmer weather, warm up the tires, and
ride. Get rid of the chicken strips, or at least
make them smaller.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
glad you're having fun! wait till you do a wfo run from 7k to redline.

__
Life is precious. Treasure it.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I just did another oil change on mine too, I really need a stand though! It's a little difficult without one.

I know what your saying, I'm so glad I got it, it just fits me. Believe me, the engine only gets stronger after 9k/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WFO = Wide F-ing Open

Usually refers to the throttle.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I know what you mean. The weather is starting to break here in New England and I'm able to get some riding in. It's been great, I didn't realize just how much I miss riding, tinkering with the bike.

Riding always makes me -->/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
276 Posts
WFO. LOL, that's funny. I didn't know that either. How about PFW (popping a F-ing Wheelie)

I'm so fast on my feet I don't need two wheels

·
Registered
169 Posts
Do Canadian model ZX-12's require a 2000 mile break in period like the the 00-01 U.S models? Also, don't you think your bike is a little young to be putting semi-synthetic oil in it? Your internals parts aren't quite worn in yet. I have 3200 miles on mine and am waiting until I get to 4000 before switching to synthetic.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Isn't there a recommendation not to use fully synthetic in 12s due to the marginal clutch design coupled with the incredible torque?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't read anything about specifically not recommending synthetic, I just want to be sure that my internal parts are fully seated. I know the 00-01 models' clutches have been criticized for insufficient oiling, and the new models have more holes in the basket cover to allow more oil to penetrate it. My clutch always looks dry, but I haven't had any problems with clutch feel or engagement. As for the torque: my last bike was a Hayabusa and I ran fully-synthetic oil in it. It allowed the bike to shift smoother and seemed to quiet down the transmission. Ugly bike though...

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
I didn't switch to synthetic till 3700miles. I wanted to ensure the bike was well broken in before I switched to the slick stuff. I was rewarded with remarkably good dyno performance. The bike will now stay with synthetic. It works great.

mcehawk,

how do yoy like the 12 vs the busa?

__

·
Registered
169 Posts
They feel very different. The Hayabusa has a very Gixxerish (new word!) seating position. Your ankles scrape your buttcheeks, the tank is low and long, and the reach to the bars is LONG! You feel like you're perched on top of it. I know the weight different is only 7 lbs or so, but the Suzuki feels 50 lbs heavier. Short and fat, whereas the ZX-12 feels tall and skinny. Power feels the same, but the Suzuki feels a little more muscular below 5000 rpm. Probably that extra 100 cc. The 12 hides it's weight much better in the corners, and it's engine is much revvier. I definitely like the styling of the Kawasaki better - I just couldn't warm up to the Hayabusa styling, even after owning it for over a year. The dual exhaust sucked too. It made the bike feel even fatter. It's also nice having a bike that you don't see on every corner. Here in NC, Hayabusas are a dime a dozen, and they're all lowered and stretched (gimme a break, posers!) I've gotten a lot of favorable comments, and people like the green. My 00 Hayabusa was the same color as my Buick Regal.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes the Canadian 00-01 12s have the long breaking.
3200kms or 2000 miles.

800km <4000rpm
1600km <6000rpm
3200km <9000rpm

I'm at about 1850km now.

I did not change to semi-synthetic until just after
1600kms (1000miles). First oil was conventional.
So was the oil after first service.
Now a semi.
I am not completely sold on 100% synthetic oil yet.
I'll probably stick to a semi for now anyway.

Is this too soon.
Not really sure I guess.
I'm not uncomfortable with 1600kms and changing to semi.
Gain some benifits of synth, and keep some benifits of
conv.

What oil to run, and when to start running it is always
a hot topic.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Just turned over 1400 miles on mine and I'm contemplating switching to synthetic in another thousand miles or so. Anyone else using full synthetic in their 12R?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
like I said above, I switched to full synth at 3700miles. love it, not going back

__

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'll be putting in Mobil 1 10W-40 MX4T fully-synthetic. I used it on my Hayabusa. It shifted smoother and the transmission was quieter. My father even uses it in his Valkyrie, and it quieted down his transmission.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sorry to change the subject Sabre(your review gave me chill bumps) but about the Mobil 1 MX4T...what would the oil change intervals be with that or any syn. for that matter?

I'm at about 3800 now and thinking of useing the Mobil 1 but at 8 bucks a qt. I need a little more info!

Thanx, now back to you Sabre!hehe

·
Registered
257 Posts
You pay that much for synthetics and you only go to 3k? That dont seem right! I was thinking it should at least triple! Ive heard some cars only need to be changed once a year with synthetics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts