All about Oils - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
ePro

All about Oils

Here's a great site with extensive techical info on oils. Also great explanations/applications etc. Everything you ever wanted to know.

A lot of reading but extremely helpful.

All about Oil

It's not the speed that kills ... it's the sudden stop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 12:05 PM

Re: All about Oils

Dude! That was an awesome read!!! That's what happen when an engineer rides a bike. He would want to know exactly what each addictives do in that oil he's putting in. I've bookmarked it as my "Motorcycle Bible". Thanks again.

Mark
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 01:31 PM
eChamp

I agree. That was a good site. It also supported what I have always believed (but has been contradicted many times)--use synthetic oil.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:40 PM

:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:47 PM

good article! bookmarked for future reference :
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 05:58 PM

That was excellent reading. I have always used Mobil 15-50 (Red Cap) in my bike and my boat. I use Shell Rotella T in my Diesel truck. I am happy I seem to be doing the right thing. :
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 06:28 PM
eWorld Champ

Ditto, I've been using Mobil1 15W50 for years in everything I own. Even the push mower gets it after it's gone through the bike. :

I can't slow down, the Langoliers will get me
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 07:36 PM
eChamp

Amsoil in my racer. :

2010 BMW S1000RR -2008 Honda CBR1000RR Racer

Dunlop Racing-Jim Cox racing

CVMA # 2
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-05-2004, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ditto, I've been using Mobil1 15W50 for years in everything I own. Even the push mower gets it after it's gone through the bike. :

[/ QUOTE ]
thats a good idea. :
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2007, 09:20 PM
eMotoMech

Awesome article. Got alittle confused when he refered to Viscosity Index as "VI" thinking it was Roman numeral 6 and again with the "improvers" thinking it was numeral 7. :

He called the Norton 750 Commando "Prayer cooled" : The puns are great, "Candles, coachroaches, and save your money on semi-synths and take your kids to MacDonalds" :

"Since about 75% of all the wear on your engine happens in the first five minutes after you start it up, synthetics offer an advantage in significantly reducing engine wear." Important tip there :

Another great tip, "You might ask, if these viscosity index improvers are so expensive and fragile, why have them? Why not just run a straight 30 weight oil? If you live somewhere where the temperature never changes, like Maui, maybe that's a good idea. However, if your engine will ever see temperatures below 60 degrees or above 100 degrees, it's important to have a multi-weight oil. Multi-weight oils offer far superior protection during a cold engine start on a cold morning, and they also offer superior protection if your engine oil ever gets above about 230. " :

Right now I'm at the API oil standards section of the article. I'm gonna end my post here and concentrate on reading the rest of the article. I'm a slow reader to begin with(I find I retain the knowledge learned better that way) and am having to re-read some sections over again to understand. But damn, I am really blown away by this article. It's awesome and really emphasizes how important the right kind of oil is for your motorcycle engine. Awesome, Mark Lawrence is the man : : : Honorable mention to Audix_Dude for sharing the article with us :

Alienware M14x-R2, Core I7 @2.8GHz, 16GB RAM, 250GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD and 250GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0, 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GT650M
www.terrapinbeer.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page