Sportbikes To Misawa, Japan - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
ePro

Sportbikes To Misawa, Japan

Any information that can be provided would be appreciated. I am already familure with the Koushin's forum that is made up of riders over there but most of them seem to be of the cruiser variety. I am looking for tips from the sportbike crowd. My Busa was manufactured in JAN 2001 so it looks like I get to skip emmisions and it only needs the brake test and original JCI (whatever that means).

Thanks,
Gunny

TO IT EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST PREY....HAYABUSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-2009, 05:52 AM
ewalking on two feet

A Busa in Japan....that's like driving a stretch limo in Rome...OK not quite so much up there in Misawa but that is still a lot of bike for those roads. Check out this page it has some info

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdaytona View Post
On the other hand, I love caffenated beverages....I'm pretty sure they are responsible for my ability to function over the last 10 months or so.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 AM Thread Starter
ePro

Thanks for the response Buelligan. All I can say is as far as sportbikes go the bike fits the rider. Thanks for the information page. It looks like there may be a discrepancy between that information and other info that I have read concerning what month/year qualifies for emissions testing.

Here is a piece from another forum:

The Government of Japan (GOJ) passed a requirement that motorcycles/mopeds over 250cc, and manufactured 1 Apr 01 or later, must pass an emission test. Also, motorcycles/mopeds over 250cc, and manufactured 1 Jul 99 or later, must meet brake standards.

Last edited by ssgunny; 01-16-2009 at 05:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 07:05 AM
ewalking on two feet

My only comment about the bike it that other than toll roads there aren't many places where I lived that a Busa can stretch it's legs. I rode a 250NSR and a scooter most of my time in the Yokohama/Tokyo area. Misawa is more country less urban sprawl so things are likely very different up there. BTW try to ride Niko in the Fall, it's kinda like The Dragon only better. The years for the brake and emmisions teasting on the Kitty Hawk page are likely out of date esecially since the ship has left Japan, but the rest of the info is pretty helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdaytona View Post
On the other hand, I love caffenated beverages....I'm pretty sure they are responsible for my ability to function over the last 10 months or so.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2009, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
ePro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buelligan View Post
My only comment about the bike it that other than toll roads there aren't many places where I lived that a Busa can stretch it's legs. I rode a 250NSR and a scooter most of my time in the Yokohama/Tokyo area. Misawa is more country less urban sprawl so things are likely very different up there. BTW try to ride Niko in the Fall, it's kinda like The Dragon only better. The years for the brake and emmisions teasting on the Kitty Hawk page are likely out of date esecially since the ship has left Japan, but the rest of the info is pretty helpful
I am down with areas where I can't get her past 3rd. I will keep Niko in mind. Better than the Dragon huh...WOW! Again thanks for your assistance.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 06:26 AM
eGunny

Send a message via Yahoo to Ninjaslayer
Hey Gunny, great idea to take the bike. I took a ZX-11 to Japan with me in 1998 and never really got it out of 2nd or 3rd gear, just not enough room. The Japanese loved it though, mine was a pre speed ban bike and had 220 mph/300 kph on the odometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgunny View Post
Any information that can be provided would be appreciated. I am already familure with the Koushin's forum that is made up of riders over there but most of them seem to be of the cruiser variety. I am looking for tips from the sportbike crowd. My Busa was manufactured in JAN 2001 so it looks like I get to skip emmisions and it only needs the brake test and original JCI (whatever that means).

Thanks,
Gunny

Do one thing everyday of your life that scares you........
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
ePro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaslayer View Post
Hey Gunny, great idea to take the bike. I took a ZX-11 to Japan with me in 1998 and never really got it out of 2nd or 3rd gear, just not enough room. The Japanese loved it though, mine was a pre speed ban bike and had 220 mph/300 kph on the odometer.
Thanks Slayer. Ahhh, the 11. I previously owned 2 (91 & 99) but only remember the 200mph speedo on those. Talking to folks on the Misawa Riders Forum buying a bike there that has already been through the emissions and brake certification works also.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
ePro

At this point, it appears that a brake test is the only thing I need to worry about. I do have aftermarket Goodridge brake lines on the front, which are configured differently than the OEM setup.

Although it looks I will exempt on the emmissions test I am a little worried about the aftermarket Yosh full exhaust system.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 08:41 AM
ePro

Even with just the brake test, pretty sure it costs a couple grand. I've been on Okinawa and bought bikes there. I just looked into taking my 03 R1 and it wasn't worth it. Best advice is to check with your TMO, they gave me the info on shipping a bike there.

Ghost Rider
2003 Limited Edition R1, Scott's damper, Yoshi RS3 pipe, Indiglo gauges, flush mounts, undertail, Second Look seat covers and tank bra, Zero Gravity double-bubble smoke windscreen, red Galfer steel braided brake lines
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 PM
eNovice

Misawa!! I lived at Misawa from 2003-2006. I rode a friends CBR 400 over there. There are some good roads with plenty of curves around Misawa. The Gorge is good and there are some good roads heading toward Amori. But he is right you wont see many Busas at Misawa.

I remember there was a drag racing spot in Hachinohe!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page