LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-05-2006, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
eChamp

Location: The cop laden suburb of Miami Twnshp, (Dayton) Ohio
06 BUSA vs 06 ZX-14

copied this from Labusa.org's zx-12 site

By Ricky Gadson himself. . .

http://www.psychobike.com/cgi-bin/ik...ST;f=1;t=22368

During a top secret test in Phoenix Arizona, with whether conditions, a beautiful 80 degrees with an adjusted altitude of 1800 ft.........a 2006 Hayabusa and a 2006 Kawasaki ZX14 were run head to head, both with 800 miles on them, both with stock gearing,stock pipes, stock height, stock tires(same air pressure),stock settings on chassis,same gas out of same jug(pump), and same rider(me)
alternating between both bikes after 4 runs a piece.

After 4 runs on the Hayabusa, a baseline ET of [email protected] 141.55 (STOCK HEIGHT)

4 runs on the ZX14 netted a baseline of 9.77 at 145.89

after 6 sets of 4 runs a piece ,the best numbers looked like this
Hayabusa - ZX
1.66 - 1.66
4.31 - 4.34
6.34 - 6.27
114.44 mph 117.10 mph

[email protected] - [email protected]

STOCK HEIGHT!!!!!!!

Without being biased, if anyone ever gets a chance to ride the 2 bikes, one behind the other, you too will be amazed at how much of a difference you feel in acceleration.
The 06 Busa is still a respectable and capable motorcycle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 09:41 AM
eSpellinbeechampyun

Re: 06 BUSA vs 06 ZX-14

Well, looks like Kawasaki has created a winner then! :

Since they're so close will Suzuki still decide to build a better busa? Sales will probably determine that. If the Hayabusa still manages to hang on to a large portion of thier sales, they may wait it out. However at 7 years old now, I really wouldn't be surprised if they haven't had a replacement sitting on the shelf for the last 3 or 4 years, just waiting for someone to come along and finally challenge them. And this would be the time to do it!

[email protected] those OUTLAW BIKERS !!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 AM
eARRROOOOOGA

Think Suzuki would ever do anything to lighten up the 'Busa or make it slightly shorter for better handling? Or is the drag racer following gonna demand it stay heavy & long?

JM

ARRROOOOOOGGGGA

Drinking light beer is like making love in a canoe - it's F__ing close to water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
eChamp

I imagine that Suzi will have a high hp, super sport tourer/hyper bike.....whether they decide to call it a Busa or not, I dont know....

I'm not sure there's a market for something between the GSXR1000 and the GSXR1300. If there was, it would be the Bandit1200 I would think. Or the SV, they have a big cc model don't they?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:40 PM
eSpellinbeechampyun

Being that these two bikes are basially designed to be drag racer/sport touring bikes, the manufacturers really aren't too concerned with thier wieght. It wouldn't hurt either of them to lose 15 - 20 pounds, but really anymore than that would take away from what people want out of them. Which is a rock-solid, planted, sturdy motorcycle. That's much more important to a person who plans to be spending a lot of time in the 150+ mph range than having a bike that's sub 400 pounds. All that weight adds a TON of stability at speed!

And it also makes for a much more enjoyable ride out on the highway. That way when you're passing semi's or cutting through cross winds on the plains, the bike feels glued to the road and not as if it's about to fling itself into the ditch.

I think that may have been the biggest lesson Kawasaki learned from the ZX-12R. They made that bike with the liter bike crowd in mind, being much more sporty looking and a lot lighter than the busa. But it didn't steal many busa riders away from Suzuki because they didn't care about any of that. The guys who want razor sharp handling buy liter bikes. Guys who want gobbs of power, but a comfy, relaxed perch for easy ridding grab Hayabusas.

Until now... Kawasaki hopes anyway!

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
eChamp

Dude, I wasn't going to say anything, but I have to chime in. (I've seen "drag racer" and "weight" comments twice now)

Drag racers DO want a lighter bike. There is a 100lb difference between a Busa and the GSXR1000. On modern sportbikes, a 25lb difference in weight is about 1 tenth in ET.

Also, the 12R is within TEN - FIFTEEN pounds of the Hayabusa.(dry weights) You can just about guarantee that this is the left pipe on the Busa, so, when both bikes go to after-market single exhaust setups, they are basically EVEN.

You're completely right about weight and the bike handling in traffic and around trucks, etc, but for the really high speed stuff, the WHEELBASE is more important than weight. (when weight is kept in reasonable terms)

The BIGGEST different between the BUSA and 12R in drag-racing is the Center of Gravity. (and that the Bus has a 2" longer wheelbase) The BUSA CG is lower, and I believe slightly farther forward than the 12R. (reduces launch wheelies)
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:56 PM
eSpellinbeechampyun

Well my appologies for any misconceptions I had. You would certainly know more than I in this department as I have never drag raced. From everything I've ever gathered from friends of mine who do drag race, they've never seemed to have been that concerned about weight. In fact is seems like the more they do to their bikes, the heavier they become. Their main focus seems to be on making the rear end 'hook-up' better, and the ability to keep the front end down upon take off. Never have I sensed any concern about the weight of their bikes.

On my 375 (dry) pound ZX-10R I can safely say that trips into the post 150 mph range of the speedometer are quite nervous to say the least. Having taken a Hayabusa well into the triple digit range I have to say that at no time did that bike ever feel nervous at any speed. That may have partially been because of the wheelbase as you said, but I know I definately felt extra security with the added weight as well.

And once speeds start to get higher, weight actually becomes an asset. Not just with motorcycles, but any vehicle. Weight adds momentum once past a certain velocity, and that momentum allows you to accelerate quicker and easier after you've reached that velocity. It's a fine line, because you are right that extra weight is a hinderance when launching off the line... but then once you get all that weight moving, it'll pay dividends in the end.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 09:11 AM

Zx12R feels planted as can be at 180 with stock wheelbase, feels nothing like my gsxr 1000 does at speed.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
eChamp

Hey Outlaw, I like you man, you gotta know that or else I wouldn't have bothered to help ya with the avatar.

Have you re-read your last paragraph? There's some stuff there that would make Isaac Newton roll over in his grave. "Weight adds momentum once past a certain velocity"
http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/stargaze/Snewton.htm

By the way, I'll give it to you that a lot of racers will focus MORE on traction without a lot of fuss on weight. (standard sportbike racers) The *COST* to lighten up a Busa or 12R or CBR100XX is out of reach/feasibilty for the average racer. (but not the pro)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2006, 03:48 PM
ePro

OK, neglecting frictional losses and assuming you can hook your tires....
Let KE = Kinetic energy
t = time
dt = a differential amount of time
int(a,b)[x] denote an integral of a function x from a to b
m = mass of bike
v = velocity (or top speed attained in time t)
P = power
* denote multiplication
/ denote division
sqrt = square root

We know:
KE = (1/2)*m*v*v = int(0,t)[P]dt
thus:
(2/m)*int(0,t)[P]dt=v*v
or
sqrt[(2/m)*int(0,t)[P]dt] = v

in other words:
top speed is proportional to the square root of the total energy (power integrated from a dead stop to a time t) put into the system DIVIDED by the mass. Simply put, more massive objects go slower for the same integrated power input.

We can get as detailed as you want, but you will see that the result still shows that larger mass = lower top speed for the same integrated power.

[ QUOTE ]
Outlawbiker said:

And once speeds start to get higher, weight actually becomes an asset. Not just with motorcycles, but any vehicle. Weight adds momentum once past a certain velocity, and that momentum allows you to accelerate quicker and easier after you've reached that velocity. It's a fine line, because you are right that extra weight is a hinderance when launching off the line... but then once you get all that weight moving, it'll pay dividends in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page