Red Rims on an R6!!! - Page 2 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Re: Red Rims on an R6!!!

didn't I read someone warnign abotu powder coating the rims as the heat process/cycle will damage the integrity of the metal in the rims? Someone please chime in as I do not want to see Kitty go down.

~A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Nuke, yeah I did that on my computer. Catch, so you want the bottom the same red as the uper fairing? ok.

~A

post #13 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:11 PM

yes..My bike is all red. Are you thinking about doing a new pic...with the bike being all red?

Ive never heard that powder-coating the rims will harm the performance of the tires. Is that what you are saying?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Kitty, yeah I do recall hearing that someplace but I may be mistaken. Some techie please chime in and tell me if powder-coating will affect rims to the detriment??? Yeah I am going to doc up an R6 to match what you are looking for.

~A

post #15 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:27 PM

Please let me know if this is true about the wheels and I will start surfing the net now and see if I can find anything.

thx! kitty

post #16 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Typical powder cure cycles are 325-375F @ 12-20 minutes, metal temperature. Actual oven temperature may need to be substantially higher to get the metal to temp in a reasonable amount of time.

<hr></blockquote>

post #17 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Almost any metal part than can be painted, can be powder coated, with a few caveats. In order to use powder, parts must be able to withstand the curing temperatures of powder. This usually means 350-450F for 15-30 minutes. This pretty much rules out plastic substrates and things that might warp like cylinder heads. Low cure powders are being developed for use on plastic substrates, but for right now, these are beyond the ability of applicators.

Parts must also be able to withstand the additional coating thickness of powder. Powder does go on heavier than typical paint. Recently I have heard of problems in engine mounts on frame that were powder coated. Powder does go on "thicker" than paint. As the contact areas abrade away, it is said that an excess tolerance can be created resulting in a sheared bolt. This can be solved by simply masking these areas, removing the "excess" material after coating or simply re-torquing the bolts after riding it for a while. Re-torquing components (maybe a couple of times) in a newly coated frame after a few hundred miles is a good idea anyway!

<hr></blockquote>

~A

post #18 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:39 PM

Hmmm..My question is .."why would powder-coating a frame be any different than powder-coating the wheels?"

post #19 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:43 PM Thread Starter

I woudl think, spinning mass versus stasis mass for one. Second, Integrity of wheels is more germane to safety but I stil have to ask my cousin or maybe an engineer wil chime in.

~A

post #20 of 74 (permalink) Old 08-16-2002, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Kitty Sorry,

Heating Al alloys above this temperature causes a granular rearrangement of the metallurgical structure resulting in a significant change of bulk properties. The tensile strength of the metal is dramatically lowered, much like a stress relief anneal on a

steel piece would do. The resultant metal is not as strong, nor will

pressure vessels made of such treated aluminum (e.g., scuba tanks) hold near

the pressure that they were originally rated for. Since wheels are essentially load-bearing structures, they should never be heated like this unless the alloy is known to tolerate it well.

<hr></blockquote>

~A

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page