02 r1 or gsxr 1000/750 or 954(update) - Page 8 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 10:08 AM

Re: 02 r1 or gsxr 1000/750 or 954(update)

The thing with Honda is that they know how to sell bikes and that is their top goal, as well as everybody else. A bike that isn't top on everything but damn near it on everything, will appeal to a far greater crowd than a focused bike like the Gixxer and Yamaha knows this, that is why Yamaha isn't going after the HP crown but chose to slug it out with the 954 instead. Honda knows 99.99% of the time they will be on the street with the occational track day and their customers will happier with the superior street manners and relaxed riding position that they provide. The 02 R1 and the 954 are on par with each other reguardless of what the Die Hard Yammie guys or Die hard Honda guys will say...It just comes down to which one you think looks better to you or fits you better for whatever reason. As far as the Gixxer goes...I'm not a fan! I think it's awesome that it has all that power but I don't care at all for it's styling or it's "twist you into a pretzel" riding position... if the Die Hard Zook 1k fans think they ride the top of the heap...I would have to agree, but it's not the same heap they like to think it is. Not to flame the Zooks I just don't like em in the least but, that's my opinion and You don't have to like it.

<font color=red>[b]Life is too short! Don't <font color=blue>waste</font color=blue> precious time...<font color=blue>Live today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 03:17 PM
eSpellinbeechampyun

93RR more important than the 98 R1??? Hard to say that exactly, I would have to say there are 4 equally ground breaking motorcycles that came out in the 90's.

1. 1990 Kawasaki ZX-11. Ultimate bad boy bike. Black from head to toe, first bike to truely use Ram-air induction (the other manufacturers took another 5 years to realize the importance of this technology), if you wanted the flat out highest performing motorcycle of the day, this was your bike...

2. 1993 Honda CBR-900RR. Opened the abandoned 900cc class back up with a bang. Created the 'light makes right' attitude that would influence the other manufacturers from then on. Power and handling were raw and unchained, but if you wanted the best power to wieght ratio bike on the market, this was the bike to have...

3. 1994 Ducati 916. Italian sex to the 10th power. Took handling to a level unexperienced by anything short of a GP motorcycle. Single sided swing-arm, undertail exhaust, V-twin race bike that costed less than most Harley Davidsons, what else could you possibly ask for???

4. 1998 Yamaha YZF-R1. Took the power to wieght ratio game to a whole new level (wieghted what a 600 did, had the dimensions of a 750 and more power than a liter bike), and created a style the others are still trying to catch up to. This bike had every catagory covered like no bike before it. Light, quick, agile, stylish, and although it didn't shatter any hp records, it's power band was one of the best of any bike before it or since. Squids flocked to this bike in droves for a good reason, it was the complete bike.

If you Suzuki fans felt left out, it's because your ground breaking bike came in 2000. The GSX-750R obliterated the 750cc class, practically ending it, and opened the door for the 1K a year later.

So who'll come out with the next earth shattering bike???

[email protected] those <font color=blue>OUTLAW BIKERS</font color=blue>!!!

[email protected] those OUTLAW BIKERS !!!
post #73 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:04 PM

My moneys on Yamaha. See the new pics of the new R6.

Not to mention the fact that Yamaha found a new way to press aluminium. it's 30% lighter than normal and they have found out how to use it in some engine components. It's gonna be interesting to see the next 5 years in motorcycle history.

2 wheels and a motor...... I'm on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 74 (permalink) Old 09-02-2002, 04:43 PM

I'd say the '96 Gixxer750 was as ground breaking as the R1. Yes the R1 was ground breaking, I already said that... But without the original RR what was out there even close? ZX-11's, Gixxer1100's... Certainly nothing like the RR's.

Without Honda we'll never know if Yamaha would have built the R1.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page