CBR954RR + YZFR1 are equals - Page 11 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 09:48 AM

Re: CBR954RR YZFR1 are equals

I own a '02 R1 so you already know what bike I think is the best. Thankfully there are differing opinions on what bike is the "best" - otherwise we'd all ride the same bike! How lame would that be?

What you want as a buyer will make you pick a particular sportbike or motorcycle over the others. For instance, I wanted a liter-bike that had performance and the looks - that led me to buying an R1. If I was going to do track days and wanted the fastest stock track bike, then I would have bought a GSXR. If I was more sport-touring biased, I would have gone with Kawasaki.

IMHO, many of the journos out there place too much emphasis on lap times and 1/4 mile times when they determine what bike is the "best". 95% or more of the mags subscribers never ride on the track or the strip. I could care less if the Suzuki is two-tenths faster in the quarter (or whatever it is) and can do 186mph v. the R1's 179mph top speed (again, whatever). All of these bikes perform way beyond the limits of most of us and the full potential of each of these bikes will never be realized on the street.

Mags can say that a particular bike is the best based upon lap times, 1/4 mile times, or spec. sheet numbers. Many mags do incorporate a street riding section in there tests of the new models but that is subjective info. I'm not 5'6" and I don't weigh 160 lbs. so the ergonomics the testers rave about may not suit me.

I believe the "best" bike is the bike YOU like best.

Knee draggin' separates the men from the boys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:27 AM
eWorld Champ

If you guys will remember about the article... There was something stated about the tires they were using also, I think they used the BT10's (doesn't matter though, I'm making a point) and specifically stated that they wouldn't have used the those tires on the bike if it wasn't for the fact that they wanted to have all 4 bikes on the same tires. The 02 R1 is a very quick steering bike and they used a tire with a triangular profile, real bad move on their part and not fair to the R1 to do so... The gixxer may be as quick steering but it had the damper to compensate for the profile of that tire. Point being, the R1 should have been on a tire more suited to the bike or had a damper installed to even the field. (I should go get the article but I'm too lazy) I think, had they used a more rounded tire or put the steering damper on the R1 or even the 954, both bikes are in dire need of one, the outcome would have been substantially different... The magazines have suspension tech's and tire guys on site when they do these tests, they were well aware of the outcome before they even started... The R1 did beat the gixxer on the street, isn't that where 99.9% of us ride? Personally, I have more riding experience than the average person and I know that I can walk past my R1 and get on my VFR (aka the tank) and kick most peoples ass on the street or track... We all want the best bikes and the best tires, but we also have to realize that a tire that makes one bike handle like a dream can make another a horror to ride... You need a tire that's suited to the bike your riding... Set the bikes up the way they should be, then go redo the tests and lets see the results then... I want to see the mags throw the same damper on all 4 bikes but match the tire to the bike and redo their trsts, then we'll talk numbers...

post #103 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 11:59 AM

VTL1180NY: Yeah but they aren't stock when modified. Have all OEM parts in it and I'd take you more seriously. If you go the route of tires and dampener, hell why not throw in a slip on too?

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

The R1 did beat the gixxer on the street, isn't that where 99.9% of us ride?

<hr></blockquote>

Remember the thing about rider/skill vs. bike/potential?

Personally, I have more riding experience than the average person and I know that I can walk past my R1 and get on my VFR (aka the tank) and kick most peoples ass on the street or track...

<hr></blockquote>

The one thing I do agree with you on, you'd most likely whup my ass on a Ninja 250.

steering damper on the R1 or even the 954, both bikes are in dire need of one, the outcome would have been substantially different...

<hr></blockquote>

And that too. [img]/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 12:29 PM
eWorld Champ

If you go the route of tires and dampener, hell why not throw in a slip on too?

<hr></blockquote>

Then none of the bikes were "STOCK", they put the same tires on all the bikes whether they came stock on the bike or not.

I think I made my point clearly though... I understand their thinking that they'll put the same tires on the bikes to make the tires a level playing field, but that's also not fair due to steering geometry and the way certain bikes react to different profile tires...

I'd love to see them set the bikes up with tires best matched to the bike and see what happens, the steering dampers would be a nice thing to do also...

Ok, running out to my GF's Ninja 250 now... hehehe...

post #105 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:15 PM

Well then why would Yamaha or Honda put unsuited tires on their bikes?

My thing is, if it didn't come with the bike, it ain't stock. That includes stickers, [img]/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]. Everyone knows those VTEC stickers add about 35 horsepower.

post #106 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 06:28 PM

Re: CBR954RR + YZFR1 are equals

in my opinion...which doesn't usually mean anything......

we need to lock this thread up...why do you ask...
because My R1 is better then your 954,zx9 and Gixxer1k.
But more then likely that is the same way you feel about Your bike vs mine..that is why we bought them. who cares what tires, and times these journelist liked and disliked...quit believing everything these guys say and just go and...

ENJOY YOUR BIKE

again just my little 2

post #107 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:22 PM

The mags do what they do because wheather or not you believe it, but people want to know these things. One thing for sure is this...what they pick for "best bike" is their OPINION, but what happens in the performance catagory is FACT, not opinion.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!
post #108 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-27-2002, 10:47 PM

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

[img]/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

post #109 of 109 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 12:21 AM
eWorld Champ

Yeah, this has gone on TOOOOO LLOOOONNNGGGG!

Time to lock it up.

[img]/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

He who gets the last laugh... laughs last! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page