Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Tire comparison

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  shamar1 
#1 ·
The new Sport Rider magazine has a really good tire comparison article in it. Any body getting ready to buy tires should definetly read. I wish that mag was a monthly publication!

#6 ·
Yeah I subscribe to "SportRider" and just read that comparo. Looks like the PilotSports pretty much kick a$$. But do take a long time to warm up.

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

#9 ·
H2's are for the track though. I know Kent wrote "they're hairball until you warm them up" and I can attest to that personally. Theose tires scared the crap out of me so many times riding around town I finally put the stock Bridgestone's back on. DOT race tires are not recommened for the street, and I believe they even say that in there.

Don't forget about the Metzler Sportec M-1. They ranked very well also.

#10 ·
I know but aren't the Bridgestone BT012SS's also race tire too? That's why I gave him the Pilot H2's rating and not the Pilot Sport ratings.

Hey Josh, IYO, how do the Pilot Sport's compare to the new D208's?

Let other people be right sometimes...it soothes them for being nothing else!

#11 ·
i have the new bt 012ss on my bike. they warm up quick, stick like F'ing glue in the twisties. and they turn in so much faster then the 207's that came with my bike. after riding on the bt012's i realize how crappy the dunlops are. im positive that the d207 will outlast my bt012 but thats fine by me. these tires raised my confidence alot too. ive had the 207 slide out on me a couple times and scared the hell out of me. ill never go back to dunlop.

#14 ·
I agree kid! I think the Bridestone's are a better tire! My R1 still has the D207's on it but I only have 1000 miles on the bike. The Bridestone tires are stickier than the Dunlops. The Dunlop is ok for all around, but are just about useless in cooler temps. They take too long to heat up in my opinion. Riding in 50 degree temp they suck on the R1. My cousin and I were doing roll-on runs together whn I got about 600 miles on my bike and in second gear (about 20mph roll) I laid into it and as the front wheel started to come up, the back tire started spinning and fishtailing. My cousin said when I went by him he could see the back tire squireling even with the front tire about a foot off the ground. I was also out on a day when it was about 50 I guess and at around a 45 - 50mph roll in the gear just cruising I was in 3rd and goosed it and the back tire just came loose and started to go sideways. The Dunlop seems very unsure on cooler days on the R1. My cousin has the Bridsestone's on his 900RR and I don't think I ever see that tire break loose. Then again, it's only a HONDA!! (J/K) /images/icons/cool.gif

If you want to know how good the tail section of an R1 looks...Just ask a Honda rider!/images/icons/cool.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.