Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Inverted Forks on R6....

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  WinkoR1 
#1 ·
I finally did the swap. Here are some pics of the new front end.

My toys

See less See more
#5 ·
"and why would you do this?"

1. Why not? 2. I was bored and had the money. 3. I wanted to see if I could. 4. It looks cool. 5. It provides a more agressive riding position. 6. My friend is paying for my old forks and I am just about breaking even. 7. I wanted my bike to be different than every other bike out there...........you want more reasons?

Why don't you fill out your profile.

My toys

#6 ·
why do the six hundreds and all the shizzy kawis have reg forks compared to inverted. the inverted are so much stronger arent they. and better?

#8 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

why do the six hundreds and all the shizzy kawis have reg forks compared to inverted

<hr></blockquote>

Typically, inverted forks are heavier overall, but have less unsprung weight and more resistance to bending. This makes them perform better in racing conditions. All modern sportbike forks have cartridge-based damping internally, so there is no difference in action between them, apples to apples. Obviously a high-end Ohlïns fork will work better than a low-end Showa.

Kawasaki replaced the 43mm inverted fork with a 46mm conventional fork on the ZX-9 in 1998 as part of a 77 pound diet they put the bike on. That Ninja would have grabbed all the headlines that year, but for that pesky R1. (Note that even the R1 has thicker fork tubes for 2002; 43mm up from 41.)

For the 600 class it's a money thing I suspect. Over the years they've gotten wider wheels, aluminum frames, fuel injection, etc. It'll just be a matter of time before they all get USD forks.

As for why the ZX-9 still hasn't kept up, spec-wise, with the other open-classers, I wish I knew. I'm not at all unhappy with my ZX-9, and this is after I got to ride a friends R1 (I'd tell you that bike is awesome, but this forum already knows that.)

That's an awesome R6 BitchinR6. Where did you get the forks? (Wrecked bike? Purchased new?) And where did you get the triple-clamps? Did you change rake and/or trail? Did your old calipers fit or did you get a whole new front end? (As you can tell from my sig, I have a ZX-9, (shizzy Kaw to you, YZROOSTINYA) and an USD fork conversion interests me also.)

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys. I found the forks online. Cost me $425 with triples and bearings shipped to my door. The forks were brand new, not even a mark from clamps/clip-ons etc. I used the R6 rotors/wheel/calipers/axle/bearing spacers. I used the R6 steering stem as it was 3/4" longer than the R1 unit I received. I used the R1 roller bearing and upper/lower triple trees. Rake/trail remained the same. I am currently using Gixxer 750 clip-ons because they are the ony ones that will allow clearance of my throttle cables with the ram air covers.

My toys

#10 ·
c-not-k, i knew i would get a response from one of you greenies. i like the 9 and the 6, i just like what yammi has done. we've been together a long time now and i think i ahh i i am i am in loooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.