S1 on the R1, i have ridden it in anger and it is GOOD - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
eCancelChristmas

S1 on the R1, i have ridden it in anger and it is GOOD

perhaps not the best looking R1, but i'm going to go out on a limb and declare it as "the best motorcycle ever made by a man"...!!! now this could also mean my personal ride of choice is a heap , but keep in mind this comment comes from a man who does ride a variety of bikes on a regular basis... you can include the desmosedici in that group.

however, this time 'round i got to ride one of the newest bikes ever built around one of the newest tracks ever built (NJMP thunder course). yamaha corp in a conjunction with NESBA in a recession busting move is wisely offering "track demos" of all their 2009 product (check for a local track near you). well when i saw the advertisment, you didn't have to ask me twice...!!! LOL

initially i thought my demo was going to be over the lunch break during a typical track day (ie. during the warmest part of the day). unfortunately, it was scheduled for 8:30 in the morning. WTF...? how silly of me. of course at any trackday in the northeast in early april, the high of the day doesn't really come till at least 1 or 2 pm and easter 2009 was no exception. i froze my ass off on the way to the track. froze all day long... and just short of froze on my home. aaarrrghhh.

but it was worth it. at 8:30am, on a cold track, on a liter bike, and on street tires i was actually able to PUSH IT on the R1. now i didn't push it as hard as some, but i refused to be the guy who wadded a 1,000cc bike on loan during an obviously cold 35 degree morning because they rode over their head. that's dumb. i pushed it hard enough to know that yamaha has set the fine line of "in control" VS. "in over your head" so FAAARRR out there that the majority will be hard pressed to cross it. i mean EVERYTHING worked fantastically. the engine, the riding position, the suspension, and the brakes.

OMG, THE BRAKES. it wasn't until after i came back in that i realized i was using the same late braking markers @ 8:30 in the morning that i use on my ABS equipped beemer in the late afternoon. LOL BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE...!!! i should mention that it piss poured cold rain all day saturday the day before so the track was EXTRA VIRGIN green in the morning. strangely, using ABS over the past 3 years has somehow "tuned" my brain to brake better, but everything worked that good. if there's any fault i could find is the feeling of the throttle. not the response (which does adjust on the fly with the switch so long as the sensor sees that you're not turning the throttle), but the weight.

coming from a bike with a traditional cable operated butterfly (as most would be) to suddenly not having the "drag" of a cable gave a feeling of "detachment". to lessen this yamaha should maybe fit a heavier torsion spring. because it's so light, muscle memory makes you "overturn" the throttle at first, but i suppose after a few hours of riding most would adapt to the sensitivity. the lesser of the 3 mode settings does help offset this but i'd still like more "spring" to simulate a cable. and that's about it.

okay, so when you go to compare the new R1, remember... you don't just compare it to another bike, you have to compare to the SUM COLLECTIVE OF EVERY OTHER BIKE EVER MADE IN HISTORY... that wasn't made... to be a 2009 yamaha R1. it is literally the 2-wheeled equivalent of a sword made by "Hattori Hanzo" ...!!!

if you don't think it was cold here's evidence. this was a common site all day. guys "takin' soil samples" coming in on the crash truck 2 at a time. there was even a 3 or 4 bike pileup in one of my afternoon sessions heading into turn 1 at the end of the straight only like 45 mins before this...!!! you'd think one would learn something from that...? notice the time stamp of this pic a lil' past 4pm. guys were riding WAAAYY out of control for the temperatures. the second coldest trackday i ever done, but the most crashes ever seen in 10 years. i'm really surprised no one got killed.

although not an american automobile, honorable mention to the skyline in attendance.

also honorable mention to the guy with the direct tv satellite dish setup on his trailer. LOL i'd like to think he was trying to watch the motogp race...?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bestbikeever.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	12521   Click image for larger version

Name:	2for1yardsale.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	12522   Click image for larger version

Name:	njmpskyline1.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	12523   Click image for larger version

Name:	njmpdirecttv.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	12524  

deep down, the motorcycle industry has a problem we dont talk about at parties...

Last edited by shamar1; 04-13-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
eStarbucks

Sounds like you were more impressed with the tires than anything else.

How much is the fish?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
eCancelChristmas

why tires...?

deep down, the motorcycle industry has a problem we dont talk about at parties...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 03:22 PM
eStarbucks

Braking, confidence in the cold, etc...

How much is the fish?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
eCancelChristmas

nah, impossible. crazy talk...

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:17 PM
aprilia junkie

Brrr. Your 1st pic reminds me of showing up at Streets of Willow in December to 22F and snow flurries in the morning. It was f'in COLD. A lot of people had hoodies and sweatshirts over their leathers like that, luckily I had the sense to bring my gerbings, but my hands legs and feet were f'in cold.

i had on Pilot Race skins that took a lap and a half to get up to temp, even coming straight off the warmers onto the staging grid.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
eCancelChristmas

oh crap, you just reminded me...!!! i promised myself i would buy some heated gear before friday. i have another trackday to commute to next week. thanks.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 PM
aprilia junkie

Like a pig in shít wearing gerbings while everyone's teeth chatter like wind-up toys.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 05:33 PM
eWorld Champ

How does that x-plane crank concept feel? Any difference to, say, last year's model?
Apart from the obviously different sound.

LUKE 22:36
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

The war is not meant to be won. It is meant to be continuous. The essential act of modern warfare is the destruction of the produce of human labor. A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 08:42 AM
Has tires!

Send a message via Skype™ to L8RG8R
Thanks for a great review S1. The new R1 has my interest piqued for sure. Can't wait to try one out myself.

A skeleton walks into a bar. It orders a beer and a mop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page