The 2009 R1 revealed - Page 6 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-12-2008, 07:00 AM
eChamp

where's mirage?

-Dara "Ride MY Lightning"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 11-13-2008, 09:14 AM
ePro

Well, I still prefer my Limited Edition 03 R1 and think it's the best model, but the 09 isn't that bad. I'd ride it...

Ghost Rider
2003 Limited Edition R1, Scott's damper, Yoshi RS3 pipe, Indiglo gauges, flush mounts, undertail, Second Look seat covers and tank bra, Zero Gravity double-bubble smoke windscreen, red Galfer steel braided brake lines
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 AM
ePro

So...

Have anyone figure out what the new firing sequence does for the inline-4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 11:08 AM
eCancelChristmas

Quote:
So...

Have anyone figured out what the new firing sequence does for the inline-4?
[will smith voice]oh hell yes...!!![/will smith voice] LOL

in short, it's an I4 masquerading as a 90 degree V4. think the racier 1000cc VFR that honda has failed to give us in spite of their LONG history with multis. the only thing yamaha did was cut a V8 LENGTHWISE down the crank (what is a V8 'cept two banks of inline fours?). and instead of machining a 180 degree crank? they asked, what if we RETAIN the basic V8 crank's configuration, but just shorten it? this affords a serious packaging, cost of manufacture, and weight benefit over building a traditional 90 degree V4.

to appreciate how this is nothing short of GENIUS thinking, one has to understand how heretofore we have only thought to cut V8's in half PERPINDICULAR to the crank (ie. V4's) so props goes to yamaha. the rear wheel cares not and knows not how the pistons or throws are arranged around the crank. on paper, the resultant firing order for 720 degrees of rotation (2 spins for a 4-stroke cycle) is the SAME as a VFR. also, by shortening the stroke even further from what the last generation R1 (already shorter than everybody else) used gives them a tuning variable for managing torque input to the crank (and thus traction). this, better than what switching to having a piston fire every 90 degrees would really allow in practice. more kudos to yamaha. the other benefit of a short stroke...? simultaneously good top end. omg, that's having your cake and eating it too.

for example, if they were to use the "daddy long stroke" of say the '01-'08 generation gsxr1000...? it would be difficult (albeit not impossible) to make this work. what THAT would be is a highside machine from hell. while all the rest they claim is true, their claims of "uneven firing order" is marketing hype. it's a misnomer. on the contrary, it's VERY even. when you're putting a piston at TDC every 90 degrees... and firing it... in my book, it can't be anything BUT even. this label of "uneven" can only be truly claimed by the D16 and the new RSV4. as you see i've maybe thought about this a lil' bit. LOL

deep down, the motorcycle industry has a problem we dont talk about at parties...

Last edited by shamar1; 04-13-2009 at 11:32 AM.
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
NANLCRXWYAXWN

Just ran across some Endurance images of the R1. Looks tasty. Is the covering over the lights to protect the lenses or amplify the output? Hmmm....

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Endurance_01.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	12768   Click image for larger version

Name:	Endurance_02.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	12769  

post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 AM
eCancelChristmas

see, that's how yammi should've designed the headlights on the street bike. here's 2 of the race kitted BSB bikes. i sport wood over works swingarms...!!! LOL

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GH4T9771.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	12770   Click image for larger version

Name:	GH4T9799.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	12771  

deep down, the motorcycle industry has a problem we dont talk about at parties...

Last edited by shamar1; 06-11-2009 at 04:12 AM.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:33 AM
NANLCRXWYAXWN

If Yamaha released the R1 with those bulging'er eyes people would still complain. It looks like you are choking a frog. Still...I dig the new bike now. I've yet to see one on the streets though.

I've heard Yamaha has been doing well in BSB...I'm pulling the BSB races down currently and will hope to watch them over Friday/Saturday while I'm on a trip for work.

post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM
eCancelChristmas

well the idea is to take styling cues from how the race upper has been designed. observe how they made a nice smooth contour in place of the head lights. okay, what if that smooth contour were a clear lens with an angel eyed projector behind it...? why that would be exactly like the old R1 headlights that everybody loved (only shortened). how yamaha missed that and instead green-lighted the buell firebolt look is beyond me...?

Quote:
I've yet to see one on the streets though.
what you really mean is you have yet to HEAR one on the streets. no they are not much to look at, but some guy at miller (no not spies) was using one to scoot around in the back paddock during the weekend. he had nothing more than a set of "2 mothers" (ie. 2bros.) slip on's. sweet jeebus did that sound tits as it echo'd off the buildings and garages.

Last edited by shamar1; 06-11-2009 at 03:59 PM.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM
NANLCRXWYAXWN

See...hear...all we have is Suzuki around these parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page