Press on the 04 R1 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Press on the 04 R1

Superbike says:

2004 Yamaha R1 launch
Our man Jon 'JP' Pearson reports from Sydney Australia from the 2004 Yamaha R1 launch and seems quite enthusiastic.
Predictably I'm going to say it's a beauty, a real ripper mate. A whole day at Eastern Creek race track on Sunday and a day on the rough as a wombat's arse roads today and I've got nothing but good things to say about the R1.

I started the track session a little nervous and uncomfortable with the extra power and the reduced weight but that was partly down to the lazy riding style I'd gotten into with my Suzuki GSX-R1000 long termer during last year. The R1 demands more effort from the rider but once you get used to that it becomes a whole lot more enjoyable because it is more involving to ride.

Basically there's more power through the mid-range up to the red line making it more of a missile than ever. The new chassis turns into corners and holds lines like never before and then puts power to the track and drives out of corners with more traction. You still have to be careful getting on the gas as the chassis is still front end bias and so takes weight off the back end but it is better.
Radial brakes and radial lever are as good as road bike brakes can get with bags of feel and power.

On the road it was a joy. Sharper steering, light controls and comfy riding position (for a sportsbike) made me want to rip-off into the outback and never come back. Virgin Yamaha British superbike rider, Steve Plater, is out here putting me to shame and he reckons it's the best road bike he's ever ridden. Yamaha rider or not I take that as praise indeed. There will be a full report in the next issue of the magazine out in the UK on Wednesday 25 February.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:08 AM

Re: Press on the 04 R1

[ QUOTE ]
Superbike says:

2004 Yamaha R1 launch
Our man Jon 'JP' Pearson reports from Sydney Australia from the 2004 Yamaha R1 launch and seems quite enthusiastic.
Predictably I'm going to say it's a beauty, a real ripper mate. A whole day at Eastern Creek race track on Sunday and a day on the rough as a wombat's arse roads today and I've got nothing but good things to say about the R1.

I started the track session a little nervous and uncomfortable with the extra power and the reduced weight but that was partly down to the lazy riding style I'd gotten into with my Suzuki GSX-R1000 long termer during last year. The R1 demands more effort from the rider but once you get used to that it becomes a whole lot more enjoyable because it is more involving to ride.

Basically there's more power through the mid-range up to the red line making it more of a missile than ever. The new chassis turns into corners and holds lines like never before and then puts power to the track and drives out of corners with more traction. You still have to be careful getting on the gas as the chassis is still front end bias and so takes weight off the back end but it is better.
Radial brakes and radial lever are as good as road bike brakes can get with bags of feel and power.

On the road it was a joy. Sharper steering, light controls and comfy riding position (for a sportsbike) made me want to rip-off into the outback and never come back. Virgin Yamaha British superbike rider, Steve Plater, is out here putting me to shame and he reckons it's the best road bike he's ever ridden. Yamaha rider or not I take that as praise indeed. There will be a full report in the next issue of the magazine out in the UK on Wednesday 25 February.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was never any doubt. <font color="red"> Honda sucks!!!!!!!!! </font>
post #3 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Notto... I thought we would find out only when a head to head comparison was done??

:

R1 is the nicest looking of the bunch that is for sure... but I am a whore, I would love to have any of the current crop of liter bikes... R1, 10r, RR, Mille, 999, whatever :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:16 AM

I'd take any except the RR. POS
post #5 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Somehow.. I knew you would say that
post #6 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 11:31 AM

It is seriously the worst put together of the liter bikes this year. It's alays been bad but this year :
At least the unit making the rounds at the cycleworld shows.

Just awful
post #7 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:26 PM

What you don't like welds that look like a second grader did them? : :
post #8 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 PM

Second grader? You giving them way too much credit :
post #9 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:29 PM

: : No kidding. When I saw the R1 for the first time, I thought it was just a rough, pre-production version of the one coming out due to the K-Mart welding. Not the case.

The new R1 gets uglier every day.
post #10 of 85 (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is seriously the worst put together of the liter bikes this year. It's alays been bad but this year :
At least the unit making the rounds at the cycleworld shows.

Just awful

[/ QUOTE ] I was talking to one of the Honda guys at the Daytona show last year, the bikes used in the usually shows don't even have VIN numbers because they aren't production bikes or even pre-production, they are the mules used to set up the welding jigs and pieces don't line up on them. You usually can't sit on most of them because they don't have complete engine internals and some other various stuff, (plus people would think the quality was shitshot like Notto just pointed out ) they would seem lighter than they would be and be misleading. Go ahead and look for yourself, no VIN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page