Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Official pics of the 2004 R1

4K views 79 replies 34 participants last post by  WetWork999 
#1 ·
Sweet!
Yamaha sez...
[ QUOTE ]
It begins with a third-generation, 998cc, liquid-cooled, short-stroke, 20-valve, in-line four-cylinder engine designed to make 180 horsepower power at a stratospheric 12,500 rpm. The shorter cylinder head is re-angled farther forward to 40 degrees, far enough forward to allow the main frame spars to go over the engine instead of around it.

[/ QUOTE ]
About 155-160 rear wheel hp and a 13,750RPM redline!

See less See more
#3 ·
That's crank hp, the real rear wheel hp will be around 155-160, give or take a few, AWESOME POWER!

#4 ·
Well I was sure wrong. But it's ok cause this will just keep Yamaha at the top :waytogo:
They also did much better with the under seat exhaust than I though they would have. Looks much better than Honda's "first night in prison" pipe. I still perfer side mounted though.

Can't say I care fot that tail light though :crazy:

#7 ·
did i actually just check my yamaha financing? /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

nahhhh :wink:

i'd rather see a solo can- savea lil weight in the tail.

---and the silver r6 is an abomination--more f'n flames. /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif :flame:

#9 ·
mmm I think AMA superbike could get interesting next year! Now that they have shown there hand I wonder what Kawi, and Honda will do. Nice to see the Gix get it's head handed to it finally.

#10 ·
Ohhhh and ahhhhsss.... from me. RAM AIR, 12.3 to 1 compression ratio, and they included a steering damper. :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

Hmmmm.....

New instrument panel with adjustable LCD illumination and multi-function digital gauges: odometer, dual tripmeters, water temperature, air temperature, full-time clock and lap timer. Large 15,000 rpm analog tachometer with adjustable shift light.

AIR TEMP? LAP TIMER? ZOWWIE. :applause: :applause: :applause:

Here is the complete low down from Yamaha-motor.com

New for 2004:

New from the ground-up design is lighter and incredibly powerful–as well as more beautiful aesthetically, aerodynamically and ergonomically.

Lay-down cylinder block and resulting narrow frame produce a 4-cylinder bike that’s slimmer and more compact than ever.

Engine:

Completely redesigned short-stroke 998cc, DOHC, 20-valve, liquid-cooled, inline 4-cylinder engine now produces 180 horsepower at an amazing 12,500 rpm (with Ram-Air).

All-new, 27mm narrower, fuel injection system uses motor-driven secondary throttle valves and 32-bit ECU for super-responsive, instantaneous power delivery.

Two-piece ergonomically designed fuel tank carries fuel in the rear section, for good centralization of mass, while the front half contains a new,
Ram-Air-fed airbox for increased power.

Re-angled cylinder head– 40 degrees forward instead of 30– optimizes weight distribution, straightens intake tracts for improved cylinder filling, and allows frame to pass over instead of around the engine for great strength.

Radical new closed-deck cylinder block reduces cylinder pitch, allowing an engine with 3mm wider bores to grow only 2.8mm wider instead of 12mm.

Narrower-angle 5-valve combustion chambers produce a highly efficient 12.3:1 compression ratio. Bigger valves and intake cams with more lift and duration flow more air.

16-percent lighter crankshaft, 3-percent lighter forged pistons, and 9-percent-lighter, 7.5mm shorter carburized connecting rods with perfectly mated big ends add up to a quicker-revving engine with excellent high-rpm durability.

High silicon-content ceramic-composite cylinder sleeves ensure greater heat dissipation for consistent power delivery and reduced friction.

Strong, yet lightweight clutch and close-ratio 6-speed gearbox with triangulated shaft layout for increased strength, compactness and quicker acceleration.

Titanium underseat exhaust system (except for stainless steel midpipe with catalyst) contains a new titanium EXUP valve for a broad, seamless powerband.

High-efficiency curved radiator and an aluminum liquid-cooled oil cooler maintain stable operating temperature.

Direct ignition coils, new dual-electrode spark plugs and high-output magneto deliver more reliable firing.

AC generator moves behind cylinder block for a narrow engine with excellent cornering clearance.

Chassis/Suspension:

All-new, aluminum Deltabox main frame rails pass over the engine instead of around it, resulting in a structure that’s 200-percent more rigid vertically, 50-percent stiffer laterally, and 30-percent stiffer torsionally.

Overall frame width is reduced from 464 to 395.6mm, which produces more comfortable ergonomics as well as more efficient aerodynamic penetration.

All-new, Controlled Fill die cast, truss-type swingarm is 30-percent stronger, and long for optimal traction and feedback.

Front-end geometry with 5mm more fork offset and reduced trail from 103mm to 97mm, for increased maneuverability; transverse steering damper mounts below steering head for excellent high-speed tracking.

The rider is repositioned for greater comfort: Clip-on handlebars are 10mm higher, footpegs are 2.5mm forward and 7.5mm lower, and the fuel tank is narrower.

Controlled Fill die cast, detachable aluminum subframe is light, strong and allows easy rear shock access.

Rear brake caliper is 12% lighter and rear disk is 10 grams lighter.

Dual 320mm front disc brakes, lighter/stronger, forged one-piece radial-mount calipers and Brembo radial-pump front master cylinder with adjustable lever delivers great braking controllability.

Fully adjustable KYB inverted telescopic front fork gets stiffer springs, 4.7” of travel and rigid, 43mm tubes.

Piggyback rear shock gets a stiffer spring, 5.1" of wheel travel, full adjustability and a lightweight, accessible aluminum preload adjustment collar.

New, 5-spoke wheels are 10% lighter in front 7.5% lighter in rear, for improved acceleration, deceleration, handling and suspension action.

Underseat titanium exhaust system is lightweight, reduces drag, enhances mass centralization, allows 56-degrees of cornering clearance–and adds to R1’s predatory appearance.

Additional Features:

Two multi-reflector and two projector “Gatling-beam” headlights provide great illumination and distinctive style.

New instrument panel with adjustable LCD illumination and multi-function digital gauges: odometer, dual tripmeters, water temperature, air temperature, full-time clock and lap timer. Large 15,000 rpm analog tachometer with adjustable shift light.

Aggressive new bodywork for improved aerodynamics, with twin Ram-Air intakes for increased engine performance.

LED taillight is light, bright and highly efficient.

Sticky 120/70-ZR17 and 190/50-ZR17 radial tires for incredible grip and precise handling.

Forged footpegs are extra durable and light.

Extensive use of hollow bolts and lightweight fasteners help trim overall weight.

8.2 AH battery is more compact and 25-percent lighter.

EU2 and California emission compliant.

Durable #530 O-ring-sealed drive chain.

Standard toolkit located in convenient storage compartment under passenger seat.

#12 ·
Well...I can't say I like it better than the 2002-2003 models but it's not bad looking. Certianly light years better looking than those Honda 1000 pictures floating about. It probably doesn't matter what it looks like if it's putting down that kind of power. I can forsee a lot of wrecked bikes coming. :frown:

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing new about that. Bikes only have two wheels, they fall. It's just a fact of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

They seem to fall faster and more often as horsepower goes up. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of these people crying for HP caps...I just know too many fools who will jump for this bike but are barely skilled or responsible enough to handle a 600. It's their money and their skin. Power is cool but with that much power and so little weight...that thing will be a wheelie monster to the 10th power and a bear out of the corners. :lol: :waytogo:

#16 ·
Phukit~ <font color="blue">YAMAHA</font> certainly did the R1 justice in '04. I like all the goodies and the less "edgey" stylin'. The exhaust will have to grow on me but like Notto I prefer side/high mounts. I think the bike will do very well in the marketplace. That said, here's hoping <font color="red">HONDA</font> comes out with a 1,000RR.

#20 ·
I agree that the Mille looks really nice, but from all accounts I've read, Mille should have about 128hp at the rear wheel, or thereabouts. The R1 should have around 160 or so. Man, that is a huge difference, and I'm sure the R1 is lighter too. Now I want to see some hp figures for the new ZX-10R. That is also a nice bike. And this praise coming from a Ducati owner, at that!

#22 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that the Mille looks really nice, but from all accounts I've read, Mille should have about 128hp at the rear wheel, or thereabouts. The R1 should have around 160 or so. Man, that is a huge difference, and I'm sure the R1 is lighter too. Now I want to see some hp figures for the new ZX-10R. That is also a nice bike. And this praise coming from a Ducati owner, at that!

[/ QUOTE ]the thing is that the mille will have 70 fp of torque off idle while the r1 does not , the mille is a twin when that is really made to compete against 750's not 1000cc I4's . Both great bikes and yes ill be going with an 04 r1 soon enough

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Very nice looking. I like the look of the cans. But it still doesn't beat the new Aprilia Mille.............

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. the R1 certainly looks better than anything from the east, and certainly anything pierre terblanche has made, but it still has the typical japanese, busier-is-better styling and can't compete with the super-clean 2k4 RSV.

i love that inverted swing arm and thin section rear rim. ALL rims should be 5 spoke (or ten)!

#24 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget that <font color="red"> Honda </font> originally planned to release the 929 this year. :lol:

Thier bike will be too heavy and under powered. Sorry Mirage :crazy:

[/ QUOTE ]

this may be true, but this new R1 was 'supposed' to be released in 2006, according to typical production schedule trends.

my forecast:

the honda will be heavier and less powerful than the yamaha in street trim.

the honda will be heavier and more powerful than the yamaha in race trim.

that said, i will still be faster on a 600. 180hp! not for me, thank you.

#25 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Very nice looking. I like the look of the cans. But it still doesn't beat the new Aprilia Mille.............

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. the R1 certainly looks better than anything from the east, and certainly anything pierre terblanche has made, but it still has the typical japanese, busier-is-better styling and can't compete with the super-clean 2k4 RSV.

i love that swing arm and rear rim. ALL rims should be 5 spoke (or ten)!

#26 ·
HOLY SHAT!!!!!! :blush:

Boy was I wrong.... /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Yamaha was just sitting in the wings letting everyone else talk about their bikes while they were quietly getting ready to release this! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez... if it's what they say it is, this is going to be a CRAZY year for open classers.

Those pics look incredible. I can't wait to see all of the new bikes in person. :tongue:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.