Question About Recent Oil Change - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
eNewbie

Question About Recent Oil Change

Hey Guys, I have not been on this forum in a long time. I still have my 2002 Kawasaki ZX6-R though and had a question. First this is a low mileage (8000 miles) garage queen that is only ridden a few times a year. It has been always garaged and actually never seen rain (crazy I know). The valve clearance adjustment got done at 7500 miles per the service manual as well as coolant / brake fluid changes. Everything was in spec at that time. Other than that it has basically had a YEARLY oil change for the last few years due to low usage. I always have used Amsoil Oil & Filter since the second oil change back in 2002. When I changed it last weekend, I notice some very tiny silver flakes at the very bottom of the oil drain pan. They were small enough not to be felt between my fingertips. I separated a couple of them to see if they were magnetic. They were not, so I am assuming it is aluminum. Is this a non-issue ? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dave In Georgia

P.S. The bike runs perfectly like it did when it was new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:37 PM
E-Tard

Probably normal, but I would also think that at 8K, it shouldn't be. Do you have any photos? A couple of the members here are bike mechanics, and surely could give you a better answer.

On a side note, welcome back! Nice to see some of the "Old timers" wander back.

xx
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
eNewbie

Thanks for the response. I did a little more research and read that this could occur from even a missed shift etc. I am thinking it is aluminum. I so rarely do an oil change it will be hard to track, but will be paying close attention to the bottom of the oil pan the next time around. The engine runs smooth, and there is never any odd behavior in how the bike runs. I am the original owner and have treated this bike very well since new.

Zoey, I see your join date is pretty close to mine. Are you an old member of SportBikeWorld ? I guess they merged or something a few years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
E-Tard

I appeared just after SBW merged. Hey, just an idea for you: run a magnet over the shavings (if you still have them). I would be a little more concerned if they stuck, meaning they are steel.

I change my oil every year, at the end of the season, regardless of the mileage. I store the bike with crappy 99 oil, and then change it to the good stuff when summer arrives.

xx
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2013, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
eNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOEY View Post
I appeared just after SBW merged. Hey, just an idea for you: run a magnet over the shavings (if you still have them). I would be a little more concerned if they stuck, meaning they are steel.

I change my oil every year, at the end of the season, regardless of the mileage. I store the bike with crappy 99 oil, and then change it to the good stuff when summer arrives.
Thanks again ! I did run a magnet over a few of the tiny particles, they were NOT magnetic in any way (aluminum I guess).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page