Oil - Page 2 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 07:59 AM
eARRROOOOOGA

That's why I quit using Silkolene in Molly. It was $11/quart ~

JM

ARRROOOOOOGGGGA

Drinking light beer is like making love in a canoe - it's F__ing close to water...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-26-2008, 08:16 AM
eStarbucks

SG specifications is the standard automotive specs.

I did some searching and there's some weird recommendations from Aprilia on this engine. They recommend AGAINST using full synthetic or Dino and claim that you should run only the semi-synth... I'm digging further.
I've read a few people saying that they're running 15W40 Rotella in RSVRs... but I'd feel better with sufficient data. I'm downloading the owners manual.

How much is the fish?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 09:00 AM
eChamp

Race bike gets Amsoil 10-40 motorcycle.
2007 Dodge Diesel gets Amsoil in the engine,trans,transfer case and front and rear diffs with Amsoil oil filter. That goes for the Honda Element as well.

2010 BMW S1000RR -2008 Honda CBR1000RR Racer

Dunlop Racing-Jim Cox racing

CVMA # 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 10:45 AM
eChamp

Maxima Extra 10-40 F/S in all my bikes street and dirt
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaroadracer View Post
What oil do you run in your bike? Is there a reason why?

My favorite oil for the price is Mobil 1. Reason is I have rebuilt many engines over the years and my race engines on Mobil 1 always seemed to be in great shape compared street bikes with less miles. My second favorite oil is Honda Oil as I really like the oil but its out of my price range. If memory serves for the gold its about 8 bucks a quart..
Mobil 1 is getting pretty close to the Honda oil in price now so maybe you will be able to use your favorite. I would stick with Mobil over Honda as it is a superior oil. Honda oil is outsourced to some oil company to relabel it for them and it really is not as good as other motorcycle oils.
george
ADG
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 02:46 AM

Well I'm not going to write a book here. But I have been selling, testing, and using lubes for 25 years. It is my business. I'm not a "Lawyer", "Banker", "Butcher", or "Candlestick Maker" selling lubes. So I have seen it all. I have heard every sales pitch and gimic.
1. There is NO Motorcycle oil.
Oh there are bottles of oil that say there is. But like other things in our life. It is a sales gimic to suck you in.
2. The "Enviromental" additive is a myth.
3. Clutch slippage has only happened once to a fellow who insisted on running 50 wt and proved too thick to squeeze out and caused slippage because sythetic is slippery-errrrr!!!
4. The top 4 oils are (Not necessarily in this order) Royal Purple, Motul, LE, Texas Refinery
5. There are other good oils too for the street and ametuer applications.
6. Oils to avoid are your over the counter "S" grades whether they are Mobil, Shell, K-Mart, or any other of the 90% of crap out there. This stuff will keep your ride going. But there will be wear and if ANYTHING happens out of the ordinary. You will have damage. Like overheating (loss of coolant or an air cooled that is left idling in the hot environment).
7. Oil testing is as tricky as learning religion. Each company can bend it to suit what they want you to see.
8. So for the average guy or girl out there. No magic wand to teach you in a minute what to use.
9. Then you have old wise tales that are passed on through generations.
Ok, bring on your critosism.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 03:18 PM
eCrazy Canuck

L8R - we just got AGIP in our shop. The application for this particular oil is for the TDI Jetta's meeting 503.01...we used to put a special QS TDI oil in, and the customers are reporting that the new oil seems to keep the engine quieter, and give a bit better fuel economy.

https://www.esportbike.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic68177_2.gif
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubricity View Post
Well I'm not going to write a book here. But I have been selling, testing, and using lubes for 25 years. It is my business. I'm not a "Lawyer", "Banker", "Butcher", or "Candlestick Maker" selling lubes. So I have seen it all. I have heard every sales pitch and gimic.
1. There is NO Motorcycle oil.
Oh there are bottles of oil that say there is. But like other things in our life. It is a sales gimic to suck you in.
2. The "Enviromental" additive is a myth.
3. Clutch slippage has only happened once to a fellow who insisted on running 50 wt and proved too thick to squeeze out and caused slippage because sythetic is slippery-errrrr!!!
4. The top 4 oils are (Not necessarily in this order) Royal Purple, Motul, LE, Texas Refinery
5. There are other good oils too for the street and ametuer applications.
6. Oils to avoid are your over the counter "S" grades whether they are Mobil, Shell, K-Mart, or any other of the 90% of crap out there. This stuff will keep your ride going. But there will be wear and if ANYTHING happens out of the ordinary. You will have damage. Like overheating (loss of coolant or an air cooled that is left idling in the hot environment).
7. Oil testing is as tricky as learning religion. Each company can bend it to suit what they want you to see.
8. So for the average guy or girl out there. No magic wand to teach you in a minute what to use.
9. Then you have old wise tales that are passed on through generations.
Ok, bring on your critosism.
What do you think of the oil testing that Amsoil did a few years ago? To review the test results click on the link in our signature.
george
ADG
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 10:00 AM
eWorld Champ

Wow, so I read that paper. Not bad. Is Amsoil sold in europe? Otherwise I'll go next time with Motul, which made second place and, well.. it has something to it. Don't know.

Right now I use Shell, which unfortunately doesn't appear in your test.

LUKE 22:36
In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

The war is not meant to be won. It is meant to be continuous. The essential act of modern warfare is the destruction of the produce of human labor. A hierarchical society is only possible on the basis of poverty and ignorance.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 11:25 AM
eStarbucks

I use Shell. Works well for me.

How much is the fish?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page