In Memory of Cyndi and Michael (CINMIKE) - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum > General Discussion > Daily Rant 2

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
Bozo
eWorld Champ

Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZX-7R
Post In Memory of Cyndi and Michael (CINMIKE)

Quote:
As for a donation in Mike and Cyndi's memory, I suggest that planting trees in Israel in their names would be something they would both whole-heartedly approved of. If you call XXXX she will help you personally. Her direct line is XXXXX.

If possible, perhaps one of the trees could be in the name of Michael's mom, Bess Shockett, who passed away last year and who was a second mother to Cyndi. In that way, perhaps their spirits can all exist together.
I received this email from a close friend of Cyndi and Michael's. He introduced Michael to motorcycling many years ago, and also introduced Cyndi and Michael to each other. I think he has a wonderful idea.

If you are interested in contributing to a memorial fund, please click the link below. I'll take care of the arrangements and if there is enough of an interest, perhaps we can direct a portion of the donations to the scholarship fund set up by Michael's mother and father some years ago.

Cinmike Memorial Fund

Down Like a Clown, Charlie Brown...

Last edited by Bozo; 10-06-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Bozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM   #2
TravellinJones
eScreaming Dizbuster

Motorcycle: The Silver Slug -- CBR 1000F

Bozo, I think it's great that we're going to memorialize Cinmike, and I'm going to chip in. Before I do I'd like to have a better idea of what's going on.

Right now it looks like you're going to collect money and then just turn it over to someone. I'd like to make sure that it's going to support what Michael and Cyndi would have wanted. If that's planting trees in Israel then ok, but I like the idea of a charitable donation in their names, preferably in Toronto.

The scholarship fund is a good idea, if they were involved with it. I also like the idea of supporting a food bank, or something like that. Maybe the Canadians, who knew him best, can help out here. Whatever is decided, I'm in once I know where the money is going.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
jeffsback
e-pariah

Motorcycle: GS500, EX500, GSXR750, ST1300

Great idea Slorch...

I'm in for $100.00

Thanks,

JEFF

"With Reps in office you get people that only fund and pass laws helping the top 1%. With the Dems in office they pander to the bottom 1%.

When the hell are the 98% of us in the middle going to get represented?" {Papa Pig}

Last edited by jeffsback; 10-06-2008 at 03:02 PM.
jeffsback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
SpikedLemon
eStarbucks

Motorcycle: Check.

While they both thoroughly enjoyed Israel I know they both loved their home downtown Toronto. They made many friends in the city; with Cyndi's outgoing personality and Mike's dry humor: many people knew them well and will likely miss them greatly.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM   #5
Bozo
eWorld Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellinJones View Post
Bozo, I think it's great that we're going to memorialize Cinmike, and I'm going to chip in. Before I do I'd like to have a better idea of what's going on.

Right now it looks like you're going to collect money and then just turn it over to someone. I'd like to make sure that it's going to support what Michael and Cyndi would have wanted. If that's planting trees in Israel then ok, but I like the idea of a charitable donation in their names, preferably in Toronto.

The scholarship fund is a good idea, if they were involved with it. I also like the idea of supporting a food bank, or something like that. Maybe the Canadians, who knew him best, can help out here. Whatever is decided, I'm in once I know where the money is going.

I understand. Precisely why I asked the people who knew them best. The tree thing is ridiculously inexpensive, like $20 per. Michael worked for a nonprofit for the past 25 years (UJA Federation of Toronto) so that is always an option. Their friends were not aware of any particular charities that Cyndi and Michael favored, but with winter coming the food bank is a great idea. I'll call up there tomorrow and see if Michael's coworkers have any suggestions.

Thank you to those who have already donated. We're off to a good start!

Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #6
Twitch
eWorldChamp

Motorcycle: Aprilia RSV Mille R from 2003
Send a message via ICQ to Twitch Send a message via Skype™ to Twitch

Thanks for your effort
Old 10-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
Bozo
eWorld Champ

It turns out that many of the food banks in Toronto are serviced by a couple of larger umbrella organizations that act as food distributors. DailyBread.ca supports the food banks in the neighborhoods around Cyndi and Michael's home. Looking over their financial statements, the overhead seems high, but they do have an option where our donation could be earmarked solely for the purchase of food. That way, we could ensure we are directly helping people instead of paying salaries. DailyBread seems to have a lot of corporate sponsors, so let them make the payroll!

Alternatively, there is FoodPath to the west in Mississauga, where 91% of all donations go to food purchase.

Opinions?

Old 10-07-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
mwyounginfo
eNewbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozo View Post

I received this email from a close friend of Cyndi and Michael's. He introduced Michael to motorcycling many years ago, and also introduced Cyndi and Michael to each other. I think he has a wonderful idea.

If you are interested in contributing to a memorial fund, please click the link below. I'll take care of the arrangements and if there is enough of an interest, perhaps we can direct a portion of the donations to the scholarship fund set up by Michael's mother and father some years ago.

Cinmike Memorial Fund

Hello Everyone,

There will be a celebration of the lives of Cynthia Ruschienski and Michael Shockett this Sunday, October 12th, from 2pm to 5pm in the fourth floor conference room of the UJA Federation, Lipa Green Building, 4600 Bathurst Street, Toronto.

There will be a social gathering beginning at 2pm, followed at 2:30 or 3, by personal stories of Cyndi and Michael as told by friends and family members.

I hope you will all be able to attend. Please forward this message to anyone else that you feel would want to be informed.

Thank you,

Al
mwyounginfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #9
SpikedLemon
eStarbucks

Motorcycle: Check.

Thank you.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:20 PM   #10
Bozo
eWorld Champ

To avoid this being an open-ended thing, I'm going to suggest we accept donations until midnight on Sunday, October 19th. I really like TJ's idea of contributing to a food bank, and I think we should go with that suggestion. Helping Cyndi and Michael's neighbors in need creates something positive out of this tragic situation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement