hayabusa starting problem GSXR1300 - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum > Manufacturer > Suzuki

Old 06-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
SBW-cqcomms
eNewbie

Default hayabusa starting problem GSXR1300

Hi,Hopefully someone can hlep me.
I have a GSXR1300 1999 model Suzuki hayabusa.It was lying up for a few months.I changed the oil and charged up the battery but it wont start.
I have checked all the electric connections and fuses but no start.
What I mean is I turn on the ignition lights as normal and everything powers up as normal but when I push the electric start there is nothing.As usual I depress the clutch and it is on the stand so I cant think of anything else at the moment.
I would appreciate any good comments before I have to bring it to the workshop.I know it has to be something simple.

Thanks

Demonduck
SBW-cqcomms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2008, 06:35 PM   #2
RoadpizzaRyan
eMotoMech

Motorcycle: 98 CBR600F3

This section of the forum is for posts about how to website stuff/navigate the forums...so not many members usually scroll down this far and check this section. I'd make a post in the Suzuki section.

But I'm thinking it's the fuel or battery. Fuel can go bad pretty quickly. And if it starts to dry up it can gum up the lines and injectors. I'd smell the fuel and if it smells like varnish it's most definitly bad. Since it's only been sitting for a few months, hopefully draining the old fuel and putting some new fuel in will help clean the system if it's gummed up.

Also how's your battery voltage? Late model Suzuki electrical systems require the battery to be close to fully charged to operate correctly, i.e. the igntion system will not function. I'd make sure the battery has at least 12.3volts

Last edited by RoadpizzaRyan; 06-12-2008 at 06:41 PM.
RoadpizzaRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:04 PM   #3
indianaroadracer
ehasbeen

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750, Triumph Sprint 1050 St, XJ600 Seca II

Your post reads like your bike won't turn over and the starter/engine doesn't turn. Usually this is a bad battery as its common for a battery to operate lights but not have enough juice to turn the bike over.

I would 1st check the fuse on the starter solenoid, should be a 30 amp fuse. If thats good I would jump the solenoid to see if your starter turns. If your starter does not turn then its most likely your battery.

One of those two test will probably reveal your issue. If not then you have an issue with the starter relay, solenoid, clutch switch, or starter push button. You will need a multimeter and need to test the components if it gets to that point.

All that said, I am assuming something crazy hasn't occurred such as the engine being locked up or similar. Easy way to rule that out is to jump start the bike. Normally easy but maybe not on a 1300. Give it a push, pop it into second and drop the clutch and jump on the seat.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #4
RoadpizzaRyan
eMotoMech

Can you jump start a TPI ignition system? My understanding was the voltage to the coils comes directly from the battery. Plus we were taught in the Suzuki program that the battery needs at least 11.5v for the ignition system to even work properly.

I agree with IRR on everything else though. I try not to give electrical advice or advise someone to even test components cause it's easy to fry stuff and damage connectors if you don't know what you're doing. Jumping the secondary side of the starter relay is easy, but can be dangerous due to the Amperes that circuit draws.

Oh me and IRR are gonna be arguing about tech procedures for sure I do bow to his years of field experience though
Old 06-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
indianaroadracer
ehasbeen

Motorcycle: 1998 GSXR 750, Triumph Sprint 1050 St, XJ600 Seca II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadpizzaRyan View Post
Can you jump start a TPI ignition system? My understanding was the voltage to the coils comes directly from the battery. Plus we were taught in the Suzuki program that the battery needs at least 11.5v for the ignition system to even work properly.

Oh me and IRR are gonna be arguing about tech procedures for sure I do bow to his years of field experience though
I'm not going to argue with you, I might remind you to read the posts more closely before responding cause we wouldn't want to provide "expert" advice if were just guessing. For instance, on this post it doesn't appear to be an ignition or fuel issue if the bike won't turn over. That said, the description leaves enough to the imagination that who knows until more info is given. If indeed its a starting issue (cranking the engine over), the problem will only involve the components in the starting system, other things such as what voltage the ignition requires is irrelevant.

Last edited by indianaroadracer; 06-13-2008 at 02:23 PM.
indianaroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
SpikedLemon
eStarbucks

Motorcycle: Check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadpizzaRyan View Post
TPI? Throttle Position Indicator? Do you mean EFI?

I've jumped my Honda many times. And it's true that FI bikes need to maintain a minimum voltage to keep it running but so long as the charging system is running and the battery is not completely shot: you'll maintain the voltage just fine. If it's just the case of the battery slowly dropping power over time (park it and can't re-start) then it will work...
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
SpikedLemon
eStarbucks

Now that I think of it; the same would be true of a car.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
SpikedLemon
eStarbucks

Did you check your idiot switch (the red kill switch)
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 AM   #9
RoadpizzaRyan
eMotoMech

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianaroadracer View Post
I'm not going to argue with you, I might remind you to read the posts more closely before responding cause we wouldn't want to provide "expert" advice if were just guessing. For instance, on this post it doesn't appear to be an ignition or fuel issue if the bike won't turn over. That said, the description leaves enough to the imagination that who knows until more info is given. If indeed its a starting issue (cranking the engine over), the problem will only involve the components in the starting system, other things such as what voltage the ignition requires is irrelevant.
I'd never argue with my boy IRR. I will debate though

You're right though. I am running under the assumption it's not the starting system. I'm definitly getting ahead of myself here.

cqcomms, we need more info here. Does the starter motor activate?
Old 06-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #10
RoadpizzaRyan
eMotoMech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikedLemon View Post
TPI? Throttle Position Indicator? Do you mean EFI?

I've jumped my Honda many times. And it's true that FI bikes need to maintain a minimum voltage to keep it running but so long as the charging system is running and the battery is not completely shot: you'll maintain the voltage just fine. If it's just the case of the battery slowly dropping power over time (park it and can't re-start) then it will work...

Naw, I was refering to a Transistorized Pointless Ignition(TPI) system. The ECM in late model Suzuki's won't activate the igntion if it's battery voltage sensing wire doesn't detect a minimum voltage from the battery. You're right with some other models, but those models would have to have a below idle break even speed.

I've gotta clafify one of my above posts. IRR mentioned jump starting and gave the procedure for bump starting after. Then I made the post mentioning TPI ignition systems and how it's my understanding that you cannot bump start them due to how they power the ignition coils. I called it jump starting, but ment bump starting.

IRR's right again though, I really need to take a look at the bike in person or get some more feedback from cqcomms before diagnosing too much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement