ZX7R mods - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum
» Insurance
» Sponsors
Go Back   Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum > Manufacturer > Kawasaki

Old 02-06-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
Greenmeanie
eNewbie

Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki zx7r Green & Black, D&D satin black bolt-on, Factory Pro 1.5 jet kit, K&N air filter, Factory Pro +4 degree ignition advance. Runs on Metzeler Sportech M1's, 120/70/17 front, 180/55/17zr
Default ZX7R mods

Alright kids, I've just spent the last three days doing these mods, so I thought I'd list them and the results.
D&D black satin bolt on can. Looks trick, sounds trick......TRICK!
Factory Pro 1.05 jet kit. Here are my specs: Mains: 168 outer, 178 inner. Float bowls changed from 13mm to 15.5mm. 2 shims under each needle, and pilot screws went from totally mixed up to 2.5 turns out each....that's subject to change.

Ken Waters' float bowl mod. For those of you that haven't done this, DO IT. It seals the airbox better, and equalizes pressure between the float bowls and air box.

California emissions removal. I must have taken out about 40 feet worth of useless hoses! I also installed a crank case breather where the tube used to go into the air box, further creating a more sealed effect. I plugged off everything, with the exceptions of the tube on the bottom of the tank, and the red marked tube at the back. These I teed off into one line that runs quite neatly down to the bottom of the bike. The end result is a completely sealed air box, with ONE line going into the float bowls, and about a five pound weight loss.

I'm still waiting on my Factory Pro ignition advance, but so far the 7 seems to idle more evenly, and now has a much smoother acceleration curve. So far the only weirdness has been a bit of hanging up around 2000 rpms when I blip the throttle, but that will be sorted out after the weekend.
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Duck_On_Bike
ePro

Motorcycle: Pick one! I have a 1996 ZX7R and 1998 ZX9R to rip it!
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />
<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br
Default Re: ZX7R mods

How big of a hangup at 2000RPM?
Old 02-06-2004, 03:00 PM   #3
Greenmeanie
eNewbie

Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki zx7r Green & Black, D&D satin black bolt-on, Factory Pro 1.5 jet kit, K&N air filter, Factory Pro +4 degree ignition advance. Runs on Metzeler Sportech M1's, 120/70/17 front, 180/55/17zr

It's a small, inconsistent one....only happens when I blip the throttle....doesn't appear to be any flat spots when I'm moving up through the powerband, or even cruising at 4, 5 &amp; 6000 RPM's. But when I'm sitting stopped, and I blip the throttle, the rvs don't go all the way down immediately.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #4
TwoZ's
eNovice

Motorcycle: 2000 ZX9R: Wearing the fastest color.
<br /><br />2001 ZX6R: Also wearing the fastest color.
<br /><br />1994 ZX7 race bike

Sounds like it's rich on the bottom end. Did you change the pilot jets?
Old 02-06-2004, 10:28 PM   #5
dragonchaser13
eAmateur

Motorcycle: last couple of bikes. 93 f2 93 900rr 991100 aero/shadow i had to get rid of it wouldnt pull a weelie standing on the end of the exaust wfo am curruntly on a 99zx7 first kawi happy with it

what is the ken waters mod,whats in the kit and what does it consist of doing in a little more detail if you dont mind,ive done the rest already.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
Greenmeanie
eNewbie

Didn't change the pilot jets....2 shims under each needle. I synched them up last night, and the hanging is now gone. I've got a perfect idle now, it's so much sweeter than stock!!!

Ken Waters float bowl mod basically gets rid of that T-valve underneath your airbox that the float bowls are connected to. The idea is to link the float bowl tubes directly into the airbox, and equalize the pressure between the air box and the float bowls. It also seals off your airbox a lot better, creating a better, more at lower speeds ram air effect.You can get more details at this site: www.redmonkey.com/zx7r
Old 02-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #7
dragonchaser13
eAmateur

Motorcycle: last couple of bikes. 93 f2 93 900rr 991100 aero/shadow i had to get rid of it wouldnt pull a weelie standing on the end of the exaust wfo am curruntly on a 99zx7 first kawi happy with it

thanks,that mod is worth looking into.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
Greenmeanie
eNewbie

Hey Dragon, when you do it, do what I should've done and buy the Muzzy block off plates for the two reed valves. I just interconnected mine, (they're the 2 large tubes between the spark plugs) but the block off plates would've made the job a lot nicer! I'll probably get those later on.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #9
dragonchaser13
eAmateur