Sportbike Racing Forum banner

WSBK 2012 Prediction Thread

9K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  KeepUp 
#1 ·
Yay, the rider list came out today....
Rider - team/bike

Biagi - Aprillia Racing Team (RSV4 1000 F)
Laverty - Aprillia Racing Team (RSV4 1000 F)
Checa - Althea Racing (Duc 1098R)
Davide Giugliano - Althea Racing (Duc 1098R)
Guintoli - Team Effenbert Liberty (Duc 1098R)
Smrz - Team Effenbert Liberty (Duc 1098R)
Melandri - BWM Motorrad (BMW S1000 RR)
Haslam - BWM Motorrad (BMW S1000 RR)
Aoyama - Honda World SBK Team (CBR1000RR)
Rea - Honda World SBK Team (CBR1000RR)
Fabrizio - BWM GOLDBET (BMW S1000 RR)
Badovini - BWM GOLDBET (BMW S1000 RR)
Lorenzo Zanetti - PATA (Duc 1098 R)
Lascorz - Kawasaki Racing Team (Kaw ZX-10R)
Sykes - Kawasaki Racing Team (Kaw ZX-10R)
Leandro Mercado - Pedercini (Kaw ZX-10R)
David Salom - Pedercini (Kaw ZX-10R)
Hopkins - Crescent (Suz GSX-R1000)
Camier - Crescent (Suz GSX-R1000)
Atchinson - Progrea (BMW S1000 RR)
Maxime Berger - Liberty/Effenbert (Duc 1098R)
Chaz Davies - ParkinGO (Aprillia RSV4 1000 F)
Raffaele De Rosa - Pro Ride Motorsports (CBR1000RR)
Niccola Canepa - Ducati Roma (Duc 1098R)

See less See more
#3 ·
1, Rea
2, Laverty
3, Melandri

Moff, Sykes first? I know he showed some real promise last year, but the Kaw couldn't go the distance. I would predict the BMW with Melandri on board will show more promise than the Kaw. I hope you're right, because Tom is fun to watch, and very competitive. I like that you put an American in there as well! Is this the year Biaggi completely loses himself? And what is Fabrizio doing on the BMW? Surely Badovini will have better luck.

#5 ·
Thanks KeepUp, I think the Kawi will come into its own this year! I truly believe this is the year for the inline 4's. Plus I have a soft spot for Kawasaki's as my first 6 bikes were Kawi's (not counting the V65 Sabre I had after Kawi # 4). I'd like to think Sykes can put in a very good year in 2012. And, I don't think Rea can be consistent - he reminds me to much of Xaus and BBoz...capable of great rides in the midst of many mediocre rides.

@duc748
Seriously? Checa? The old guy on a 3 year old platform? I know, I know.....the 2011 champion and as a Duc fan it'd be nice to see a repeat but I just don't see the development capacity there to keep up with the Suzuki and Kawi's. But then, at the end of the year the proof will be in the pudding and someone will have bragging rights, just like South this year! :)

#7 · (Edited)
Moff swinging for the fences with the double pipe-dream of both Sykes and Kawi, KeepUp convinced Jony's finally going to keep the bike out of the gravel traps and himself out of the Clinica Mobile, and Duc makes a strong pick with perhaps just 2 and 3 the other way 'round.

My take: Checa's the man to beat, but I think Hopper may be the guy who can, especially in light of the fact that he's got a year's experience with the same basic bike--ultimately may depend on how much support Suzuki provide, and, having bailed on GP, stands to reason they'll have some resources to spare. Plus, he--and Suzuki--really needs something to make a case for MotoGP in 2013 (although wouldn't surprise me to see a Denning-run, GSXR1000-powered CRT effort and not a factory team). Laverty's got the talent, and a year's seasoning, but how he gets on with the new bike remains to be seen. Despite my fervent desire for Melandri to do well so we'll get plenty of pit coverage of his spectacular Missus, I don't think the BMW is a winner yet--if it ever will be--and I just have a feeling that Biaggi's performance will continue to slip. So,

1) Checa ultimately goes back-to-back
2) Hopkins a close 2nd
3) Big scrap for third between Rea, the 2 factory Aprilias, and the factory BMWs.

#8 ·
Well, I feel a bit like Babe Ruth, pointing to the bleachers while at bat. And we all know he struck out a lot more than he hit the ball, but when he hit it - pow, home run. :) So lets hope Sykes/Kawi gets the message! :)

I really wanted to put Hopper as #1 but just not sure how he will endure physically over the course of the season. And my opinion is that Checa will not repeat due to age - him and the bike :)

I like South's rationale for Melandri - yummy, more pit coverage (not her pits you silly rabbits) of the misses! LOL

#10 · (Edited)
Hopkins fell and broke a bone in his right hand today during a (mass) unofficial test at Phillip Island...I hope this isn't the precursor to yet another injury riddled season in SBK. :crazy

Here's a list of today's times. I think Moff was predicting the first day of the test (save for Hopkins) and not the season ending stance. :lol

1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 33.0s
2. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 1m 33.0s
3. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1m 33.4s
4. Marco Melandri ITA BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1m 33.4s
5. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1m 33.7s
6. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1m 33.7s
7. Jakub Smrz CZE Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1m 34.0s
8. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1m 34.1s
9. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 34.1s
10. Maxime Berger FRA Liberty Effenbert Ducati 1098R 1m 34.3s
11. Michel Fabrizio ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 1m 34.4s
12. Leon Camier GBR Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 34.5s
13. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 34.9s
14. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 1m 35.0s
15. David Johnson AUS Rossair AEP BMW S1000RR 1m 35.7s
16. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Ducati 1098R 1m 35.8s
17. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Ducati 1098R 1m 37.1s
18. John Hopkins USA Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 No Time

#13 ·
Hopkins fell and broke a bone in his right hand today during a (mass) unofficial test at Phillip Island...I hope this isn't the precursor to yet another injury riddled season in SBK. :crazy

Here's a list of today's times. I think Moff was predicting the first day of the test (save for Hopkins) and not the season ending stance. :lol

1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 33.0s
2. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 1m 33.0s
3. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1m 33.4s
Is it to late to ditch Hopkins and pick another rider to take his place in my top 3? And nah, this is just a precursor as Sykes further sorts out the Kawi....then his times will blow away the field (I hope and knock on wood :) )

#12 · (Edited)
He appeared to do well in BSB over the course of the season, it wasn't until his MotoGP wildcard that he came off and sustained the finger injury. Maybe there is bad voodoo with any world championship he steps foot into. :crazy

Two of my predictions are now injured in preseason testing...glad I put Checa on the top step.

The factory Aprila rider fell heavily at the high speed Doohan corner that begins the lap, suffering a possible fracture to his third metacarpal in his left hand, he is also thought to have sustained a concussion as well.

Read more: http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle...t-for-phillip-island/20076.html#ixzz1mSOqeXFc

#14 ·
Hmmm, not quite what I was expecting at this point in the season - 3 down, 11 rounds to go.... Kawi needs to get that bike to manage the tire all the way to the end of the race. Sykes can go fast but keeps sliding backwards towards the end of races.

Top 5 riders/points
Max Biaggi 92
Carlos Checa 91
Tom Sykes 79
Sylvain Guintoli 66
Marco Melandri 66

#15 ·
Wouldn't hurt if they remember to tighten the radiator hose clamps as well. :smirk

Checa and Ducati clearly doing what they can to avoid a runaway and keep the c'ship close for awhile longer in order to best position themselves for any potential future rules tweaks. ;)

#20 · (Edited)
Says you! I picked him! If Sykes keeps knocking over riders who try to pass him, he may be able to hold out to the end. Unfortunately Laverty is letting me down. He has gotten stronger throughout the season, but can't sniff a podium. Camier never really got the Ape to handle for him either. Is Aprilia not giving the second bike the same treatment, or is Max the only one who can ride it?

#19 ·
I am impressed with Marco's performance this year. I did not expect him to take to the BMW like he has. Sad to hear that Haslam will be looking for a new ride....

I really hope Kawasaki keeps up the testing and development..noticeable improvement each race for the bike to go race distance. Hope that development trickles down to Rapp in the AMA series :)

#21 ·
Says me as well - never imagined Melandri could get the BMW sorted out. LOL

And Sykes didn't knock Rea over, it was a racing incident :) Not like Sofogulu (sp?) intentionally head butting a rider ...

I'm slightly apprehensive about the thought of Melandri or Biaggi winning the WSBK this year. Since Spies in 2009 the last 2 years were both won by ex-MotoGP riders and it definitely looks like this will be year 3 in that trend.

So, does that make WSBK the retirement home for MotoGP riders or does that make MotoGP a feeder series for WorldSBK? Should the British SBK or AMA series be grooming riders to jump to the Moto2 or 3 series hoping to get a shot in the big leagues so they can get to WSBK? Especially with the CRT factor (WSBK bikes slightly improved), what does that bode for MotoGP?

*sigh* I miss AMA having the 250 2-stroke series, MotoGP having strong competitive fields, and the ring-ding-ding-ding sounds coming through the tv. I am getting old LOL

#28 ·
no no no...that's cheating. Must be before the first race. And Mofferman, I know Sykes has the skills, I just didn't see Kaw making that big of a leap in one off season...they proved me wrong. And as for Honda, I think they had the bike to be competitive all season, Rea just had a problem keeping it on the track. It seems like he either was competing for a podium or motocrossing ;)

#27 ·
Well, lets delay the guesses until the teams are confirmed and I'll go so far as to say some testing has been done. I'm so happy Sykes did so well. Even though I believe the quotes when I picked him went like "Moff swinging for the fences with Sykes" LOL

I just hope Kawasaki can really keep improving to get the bike to not shred tires by 2/3 race distance. And I would love to see Suzuki in the mix next year. And maybe the new Duc will keep Checa in the mix. I was very happy to see the variety of manufacturer's in the mix...Aprillia, BMW, Kawasaki, and Honda (occasionally)...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.