Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Hawk GT Ride Report!

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  curious1 
#1 ·
1988 Hawk GT Ride Report!

Basics - 58hp (crank) 647cc V-twin powered motorcycle weighing in just over 400lbs ready to ride, complete with a nice low seat height and fairly upright riding position.

Ok, so I tossed the new tire on Holly Monday afternoon. Before we went for a lesson, I wanted to properly scrub the new tire in so C1 didn't have to factor in slippery new tire to her 1st ride. Here's what I found:

1. Motor/power delivery

Smooth, user-friendly motor, very nice for a beginning rider IMO. Simple & smooth power delivery from about 2,000 RPM on, starts to fade once you're within 2000RPM of the redline. It's not an abrupt fade, just starts feeling a little weak. A modified airbox lid might help here, not worried about mods at this time though. Gears are nicely spaced, only a 5-speed gearbox, but they're spaced well and the motor couldn't really pull a taller ratio than the current top gear at highway speeds. The motor is much stronger down low and into the midrange of the RPM's. Feels to have as much bottom as my M750. However you can tell it is bred from the VT500, and came from a cruiser-designed motor with the fade into the higher RPM's.

2. Handling:

Simple and smooth, the bike responds quickly and smoothly to user inputs. It is not twitchy, but responsive. Suspension seems really soft for me and my riding style, but not uncommon for a entry-level bike. From just showroom sitting, I would say you'll find similar suspension on a GS500 and Ninja 500, but slightly better suspension on the Ninja 650. Thrown hard into a curve, there is noticeable flex, but nothing scary. More flex than my M750, but less flex than a Ninja 250. Once the initial flex happens, there is little to no oscillation through the chassis. It feels less chaotic thrown hard into turns than my M750. It tracks nice and true, with just a slight outward push from the rear wheel with heavy throttle application through the turn. Despite the smallish 110/80 up front the front end stayed nicely planted following the expected line. Under heavy acceleration there is a slight twist, much like a very faint torque steer from a shaft drive.

3. Brakes (Front single-disc, rear single-disc)

Front - Good and responsive, but not overly harsh. Good feedback, not quite the stopping power of my M750 (single-disc too) but good, and lacking the sudden sharp bite my M750 has. The lack of sharp initial bite is probably a good thing for new riders.

Rear - Better than many rear brakes I have used. Better than the rear brakes on both the M750 and the 900SS. Plenty of stopping power and a reasonable amount of feedback.

Overall opinion:

Good solid motorcycle for general commuting duties and some fun in the twisties. I plan to 'borrow' C1's motorcycle for a couple more rides on familiar roads and see how it fares on some tighter/more technical roads.

Good:

1) Very user-friendly motorcycle
2) Responsive throttle/handling/braking without being abrupt or twitchy
3) Smooth power delivery
4) It's a Honda, so it should be very reliable & low maintenance
5) New-rider friendly with room to grow with rider skill and not need replacing within a couple years.
6) A few simple mods can nicely upgrade the handling/performance
7) Comfortable all-day riding position & comfy seat

The Bad:

1) Very soft suspension for a 600cc+ bike
2) Engine performance responsive but fades quickly as the RPM's rise
3) Front OEM tire size tall and skinny
4) Noticeable chassis flex - likely from front forks & triple (same forks as a Shadow 600)
5) Feels small for me, and I'm 5'-8" & 165lbs

JM

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.