Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Helmet life span?

7K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  jxl 
#1 ·
How long can you use the same helmet before it's a good idea to replace it? I've had mine for almost 10 years, never been dropped etc. Wondering, is it time to replace it?

2000 <font color=red>DUCATI</font color=red> 996 Monoposto

#2 ·
It's not how long you've had it as much as how long you've worn it. The longer you wear it the more the padding starts to pack down. I just replaced mine after only 4 years but it was beat after 98,000 miles of riding.

#7 ·
Serp, my login has been getting punted quite frequently, if that's what you are referring to.

My friend had some old helmets with the liner falling out. I didn't realize that until I took it off and had black foam crap all in my hair. LOL /images/icons/laugh.gif

#10 ·
Time does matter. How much you used it matters too, but just sitting on the shelf it will eventually need to be replaced. The hard foam liner (styrofoam like stuff between the outer shell and the pads) which provides the bulk of your protection, will eventually break down and loose it's impact absorbing capabilities. Manufacturers say anywhere from 3 to 5 years. I'd guess that is very, very conservative, but ten years is probably past time to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.