Sportbike Racing Forum banner

ZX7R mods

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dragonchaser13 
#1 ·
Alright kids, I've just spent the last three days doing these mods, so I thought I'd list them and the results.
D&D black satin bolt on can. Looks trick, sounds trick......TRICK!
Factory Pro 1.05 jet kit. Here are my specs: Mains: 168 outer, 178 inner. Float bowls changed from 13mm to 15.5mm. 2 shims under each needle, and pilot screws went from totally mixed up to 2.5 turns out each....that's subject to change.

Ken Waters' float bowl mod. For those of you that haven't done this, DO IT. It seals the airbox better, and equalizes pressure between the float bowls and air box.

California emissions removal. I must have taken out about 40 feet worth of useless hoses! I also installed a crank case breather where the tube used to go into the air box, further creating a more sealed effect. I plugged off everything, with the exceptions of the tube on the bottom of the tank, and the red marked tube at the back. These I teed off into one line that runs quite neatly down to the bottom of the bike. The end result is a completely sealed air box, with ONE line going into the float bowls, and about a five pound weight loss.

I'm still waiting on my Factory Pro ignition advance, but so far the 7 seems to idle more evenly, and now has a much smoother acceleration curve. So far the only weirdness has been a bit of hanging up around 2000 rpms when I blip the throttle, but that will be sorted out after the weekend.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's a small, inconsistent one....only happens when I blip the throttle....doesn't appear to be any flat spots when I'm moving up through the powerband, or even cruising at 4, 5 & 6000 RPM's. But when I'm sitting stopped, and I blip the throttle, the rvs don't go all the way down immediately.

#6 ·
Didn't change the pilot jets....2 shims under each needle. I synched them up last night, and the hanging is now gone. I've got a perfect idle now, it's so much sweeter than stock!!!

Ken Waters float bowl mod basically gets rid of that T-valve underneath your airbox that the float bowls are connected to. The idea is to link the float bowl tubes directly into the airbox, and equalize the pressure between the air box and the float bowls. It also seals off your airbox a lot better, creating a better, more at lower speeds ram air effect.You can get more details at this site: www.redmonkey.com/zx7r

#8 ·
Hey Dragon, when you do it, do what I should've done and buy the Muzzy block off plates for the two reed valves. I just interconnected mine, (they're the 2 large tubes between the spark plugs) but the block off plates would've made the job a lot nicer! I'll probably get those later on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.