Sportbike Racing Forum banner

How many miles can u get out of 2001 gsxr600

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  swjohnsey 
#1 ·
If I change oil and keep up with all maintenance ,take good care of bike,how many miles would i be able to get out of the bike? also would it be better to change to synthetic oil now that it has 4000 miles on it? what type of synthetic would you recommend?
any comments would be appreciated.
rebelone.

#3 ·
The Hondas are so slow is just feels like twice as many. Just kidding! Most Japanese sportbikes will probably go 100,000 miles with proper maintenance, even a Honda. You can change to synthetic now if it will make you feel better. It probably won't make your bike last any longer. Synthetic oil might give you a 1% hp increase. I use Mobil 1 15w50 that I buy at Wal-Mart for $18.88 for 5 quarts.

#4 ·
Maybe you meant to ask how many miles can you expect to get before needing to replace worn engine/trans internals?. No-one knows, all depends on how you use/abuse the bike. Any bike will literally run forever if you change out parts as they wear or fail.

Chances are you will get bored with the bike and dump it long before you reach the end of the original engine service life. Don't worry about it.

#5 ·
I've seen and heard of bikes (lot's of Hondas, a Ducati, and an R1) making 50,000 miles with regular maintenance without an engine/tranny rebuild. I don't see why a GSXR600 wouldn't do it too if someone was commited to that bike. Do the maintenance religiously, replace brakes, tires, maybe a clutch or two, and a chain/sprocket set and it should live a long time. :waytogo:

#8 ·
[ QUOTE ]
hows the clutch hold up in car mobile one.???

didnt know if it was good for it or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Mobil 1 is available in a motorcycle specific formulation as well. The oil is not the problem, it's the additive package. Anything labelled ""Energy conserving" will have friction modifiers added that may wreak havoc with your clutch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.