Sportbike Racing Forum banner

CBR 954RR vs ZX-9R

10K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Outlawbiker 
#1 ·
This is only regards to handling and stability. Not looks, performance, or what not. Not about how quickly the bike turns. But handling and stability. Which is better?

<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://esport.sportbikes.com/wwwthreads/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055349403johnnyxpx">

Which has better handling and more stability?
<input type="radio" name="option" value="1" />CBR 954RR
<input type="radio" name="option" value="2" />ZX-9R
<INPUT TYPE=Submit NAME=Submit VALUE="Submit vote" class="buttons"></form>

#2 ·
Handling and Stability can be two separate issues, so I vote:

Handling - 954RR. Lighter and more "flickable", a quality most Hondas seem to share.

Stability - 9R. Heavier and more effort required to turn, but will hold a line "better". Again, most Kawis seem to share this trait (don't know about the 03 6r/6rr).

#4 ·
I don't know which is better but Sport Rider's 2002 shootout seemed to imply the ZX9R had better handling than the 954. Based on what I read and the price i Traded my 600 for a ZX9R. Have only ridden it 200 miles since picking it up Saturday due to the endless rains in Pittsburgh. It feels as light as a 600 with the power of a 900. Actually it seems light years ahead of the old 600 (great seat).
Not dishing on the Honda 954 (if only I could afford both).

#5 ·
The 954 handles/steers quicker but twitchy(due to lighter weight), the ZX9R is more stable and doesn't move around as much(from the extra weight). Really personal preference, I've grow to like the bike moving around under me and keep a loose grip on the bars so it works for me. I got tired of the slower steering yet stablility of my older heavier VTR1000 but I learned alot from the confidence it gave me that's lacking the the 954.

First Liter bike? ZX9R. Next Liter bike? 954/R1/GSXR...

#7 ·
[ QUOTE ]
The 954 is extremely flickable but does that make it unstable.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the wrong hands.... yes.... They start feeling it move underneath them, then they start fighting with the bike.. before long it is the sound of plastic being introduced onto pavement... (not a good thing)

#8 ·
I owned a 9R 2000 and now own a R1 2002. Never ridden a 954 but they are similar to an R1. The 9 is defenitly much more stable. I noticed any time my 9's front came off the ground the steering stayed straight.

The R1 once the front comes up slightly the steering can turn very quickly left or right depending on which hand is pulling more. Very sensitive.

It takes more muscle to ride the 9R. It's kinda acts like a slower computer. Then you have faster smaller computer(R1,954) but slightly less stable. But I never take my R1 out and want to come home. My nine I did, so..

#10 ·
My 1983 Honda Magan 1100 weighed 700 pounds and was VERY stable, but didn't handle as good as my VTR1000....

#12 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Handling and Stability can be two separate issues

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I think of them as two halves fighting for the same pie. Usually if you have rock solid stability then handling is like a barge, and great handling (light neutral steering, responsiveness, flickability) comes at the expense of stability. It's a fine line to walk.

#13 ·
Stability is a fluid motion, bikes are all stabile without a rider.

The 954 is a Much better handling bike than my 9R was. The stability comes from a loose ,confident rider who doesn't do anything to upset the geometry of the bikes handling.

In the hands of an inferior rider, the 9R is a much more forgiving machine. Make the mistakes of new and novice riders on the 954 and you could easily be watching it do its first solo slide along side of you. Make identical mistakes on a 9R and it doesn't react as quickly to your mistakes, thereby giving you time to realise your mistake, correct and recover.

I would have to say the 954 handles better. :waytogo:

#14 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Stability is a fluid motion, bikes are all stabile without a rider.

The 954 is a Much better handling bike than my 9R was. The stability comes from a loose ,confident rider who doesn't do anything to upset the geometry of the bikes handling.

In the hands of an inferior rider, the 9R is a much more forgiving machine. Make the mistakes of new and novice riders on the 954 and you could easily be watching it do its first solo slide along side of you. Make identical mistakes on a 9R and it doesn't react as quickly to your mistakes, thereby giving you time to realise your mistake, correct and recover.

I would have to say the 954 handles better. :waytogo:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well having owned both I had this long responce...but 9runicycler just about covers it all....and I agree but with a qualification

First..all bikes are inherantly stable..riders make them unstable by their input into the dynamic....

Second..Big green is known for its "more streetable" bikes more so than any other maker...the stearing on all that Ive ridden (7r, 9r,ZX11,12R) are "slow"..and very forgiving....the stearing on the 954...is lightling quick....I think only second to the R1..Once in turns..the Kawasakis give you a nice warm feeling....the 954..you'd better be on your game..its turning with or without you..but its going.....

So..If you want a "Planted feeling"....go green...if you really want to go deep into corners then throw down.....you gotta go with the 954....just be on your game!

#15 ·
Handling no question the 954. HOWEVER the stability I would still have to say the 954. It all depends on what you are doing. Street, track, everday. But if you are riding every day on the roads and streets and an ocassional track day, I would take the 954 anyday. Bigger and heavier doesn't mean more stable. Your stability depends on your chassis and feedback. I have ridden both on a track and on teh street (2003 954 and 2002 9r) I don't like the 9r shocks and the front end feels vague on teh track. Therefore I would definitly have to say its in favor in both areas for the 954 handling and stability. Just my two cents. I think a few people summed it up above

#16 ·
I've gone through fast corners that were bumpy enough to bounce my butt off the seat a bit with no problems as long as a keep a loose grip on the bars and hang on with my lower body, legs and abs. With a 954 and no steering dampner. The bike moved around quite abit but not enough to crash. :wink:

#17 ·
I've owned both bikes (currently 954). The 9 was more stable, and the 54 is easier to handle. I've yet to have the head shake thing happen on a hard corner exit??? The Kawi was 10X's better for a longer ride! This Honda plywood they call a "seat" sucks!! /wwwthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

#19 ·
Doesn't come with one, costs too much for one, and doesn't need one with the proper technique(unless you're into the wheelie thing or tracks only, then it needs one). :wink:

#20 ·
This is a good comparison but as far as overall bike is concerned I would take a 929 even over a 9r. I haven't ever even owned a honda but it seems like the 9r is so far out of the race when it comes to the evolution of the liter bikes in the past 5 years. The 9r seems like the non sportiest of the supersport liter bikes you can buy. not saying its a bad bike. my friend has a 9r and has over 27k miles on it and beats the CRAP out of it for the last three years and engine hasn't blown at all.

#21 ·
I think "stable" when speaking of terms in regards to a motorcycle should be defined as "the amount of abuse the bike can take from the rider and remain composed".

I wouldn't consider a bike that would fall over if you merely breathed on the clip-ons the wrong way as stable. Yes, bikes are inherently stable without a rider, this much is true... but bikes don't go very far without somebody controlling it.

I also don't believe that some bikes turn quicker than others. You can turn any bike quickly if you apply enough muscle. Not to say that some bikes aren't easier to turn more quicker than others.

So, if the 954 is a little more rider sensitive, then I'd say it's less stable than the ZX-9R.

#22 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I think "stable" when speaking of terms in regards to a motorcycle should be defined as "the amount of abuse the bike can take from the rider and remain composed".

I wouldn't consider a bike that would fall over if you merely breathed on the clip-ons the wrong way as stable. Yes, bikes are inherently stable without a rider, this much is true... but bikes don't go very far without somebody controlling it.

I also don't believe that some bikes turn quicker than others. You can turn any bike quickly if you apply enough muscle. Not to say that some bikes aren't easier to turn more quicker than others.

So, if the 954 is a little more rider sensitive, then I'd say it's less stable than the ZX-9R.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well....When you put it that way, the bar stool you post from is the most stable of all. :lol:

#23 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I also don't believe that some bikes turn quicker than others. You can turn any bike quickly if you apply enough muscle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well what's wrong with this arguement is... if you are used to riding a ZX-9R around, and you ride a certain road a lot and are used to all the corners. If one day your buddy who owns an R1 let's you ride his bike, and you take off and turn it into that first corner with the same muscle you use on your ZX-9R, it's going to turn in much faster, right.

You may be able to turn your ZX-9R into a corner just as quick as your buddy turned his R1 into the same corner by using more muscle. But if all things were equal (as in if he used as much muscle as you did), his bike would have turned in faster, right!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.