Had a REALLY close one this Saturday.... [Archive] - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

: Had a REALLY close one this Saturday....

rocksmoker
04-27-2003, 04:31 PM
So I'm heading out by myself this weekend to Mena, AR to do some touring on the bike and also do some turkey hunting as well. Since I was in the western part of the state and spending the night I thought I'd check out some nice roads I've heard about that make for a tough day trip but I could easily travel with an overnight stay.

So I'm getting packed up with my stuff in this handy tail pack. It looks like a duffel bag and sits on the passenger seat of the bike and has bungies to hold it to the cargo hooks.

I've loaded up my heavy hiking boots, change of clothes, various personal effects, cell phone, car/house keys etc. in said tail pack.

The total trip was close to probably three and a half hours as I had close to 250 miles to cover. Near the end of the trip I notice that the tail pack had kinda shifted on to the left side of the bike, but not a big deal. I reach behind myself and slide it back over. It'll be okay.

Well. Here I am on the final leg to my destination. I'm out in fookin' BFE - hadn't seen a house for at least 10 miles and no cars, either, and there is a delicious straight with some nice sweepers - and since it's all pasture I can see through the turns.

I was already averaging anywhere from 90-120 on this road already. So, conditions are right: time to wick it up a notch.

I slam down three gears and gun the 12R for all it's worth. Right at 170 when I let out a 'yahoo!' in my helmet, I crest a small hill.

When I land I hear this commotion from the back, an awful grinding noise, and then the rear starts to get squirmy on me.

I realize something's not right with the rear of the bike. I glance at the dash - no warning lights. The rear end is squirming around and I'm going from yellow line to white line in the road and I realize:

<font color="red"> I'm doing 170 mph and my rear wheel has locked. </font>

Scenarios run through my head: Broken chain, shredded tire...oh sh!t. I've shredded a tire - <font color="red"> keep bike straight </font> This Could Get Really Ugly When It Goes Past the Cords. My mind then immediatly had a second thought: Wrecking Is Not An Option.

I honestly can't say I paniced. I became razor focused: I Am Not Wrecking.

Feather front brake: rear end gets REALLY squirrly. Okay - don't do that. Keep bike straight - stand up a little on pegs to help distribute weight and keep balance - how long will I have to do this? Now slowing to 120 or so.

Stare ahead and hope tire doesn't blow. That Will Get Real Ugly. Keep looking straight ahead. Don't touch the brakes. Oh yeah - probably need to squeeze the clutch so the engine doesn't do anything funky if it dies or catches up again.

Keep looking straight ahead and keep bike up. My God. When am I going to stop? Now slowing to 90 or so. I'm almost past the This Could Get Ugly stage. I just need to keep this thing upright. I glance at the speedo and now I'm doing a 'comfortable' 50-60 mph. Now I'm pretty confident that I'll keep it upright and I'll be able to stop when the bike was ready.

Finally I glide to a stop. Smoke envelops me and the bike. The engine is still running - I kill it. I take a quick look in the mirror and I see a single darkie as far as I can see that ended at my bike - yep. Rear wheel locked. I put down the kickstand and get off the bike to survey what the fook just happened.

I survey the bike. <font color="blue"> The tail pack had gotten lodged between the swing arm and the tire.</font>

My razor sharp single focus of "Keep the bike upright" immediatly changed to "I have to get moving again. I'm NOT going to sit here in the middle of nowhere."

I pushed the bike backwards to loosen the pack, and it and all the contents spread out on the road. Where's my phone? Sh!t, I need my phone. I look behind me despondantly but I find it in the fairing under the bike covered in melted rubber and deodorant. It has a broken LCD panel, the back is melted with a large 'skid' mark on the back. My garage door opener is next to the phone in the fairing along with what's left of a deordorant can, a toothbrush covered in melted deodorant and a severed tube of tooth paste.

The bag is in shreads on the pavement. My hiking boots kept the bag from getting wrapped around the chain and such. The boots had holes burned through them from the tire. All of my clothes had holes and metled rubber on them.

My Palm Pilot was unscratched, as it was in the top of the bag. I prayed my phone would work. I turned it on and checked voice mail. I could place calls if I knew the phone number - but the LCD readout is all broken so I can't dial phone numbers in the phone directory.

I then switch focus to the bike. A mechanical inspection of the bike revealed no obvious damage. Tire is melted all the way around with cuts through the rubber (but not too deep or to the cords). Ugly, but it's okay. Broken boot guard and my subframe plastic is tweaked from the pressure of the bag.

Bike passes inspection. I gather my very important items (palm pilot, phone, car/house keys, garage door opener) putting them in the trunk and left the rest on the road. It's all toast anyway. No need to figure out how to get it to Mena or back home.

I turn around and survey the skid mark. It goes as far as I can see on the road. I start down the road on the bike and reset my trip meter at the start of the skid: It's well over 3/10ths of a mile - almost 4.

I finish my ride to Mena - cautious of my ugly tire. After a few more miles I gain a bit more confidence in the tire (no flat spots or funny feeling from the back). My friends were hunting, so I went on up into Queen Wilhemina State Park to kill some more time.

When I come back almost an hour later my friends are there.

When I greet them I then crack open the best tasting can of Bush beer I've ever had. I sat down, oddly relaxed, and told them my story.

From Mena today I plan to hunt for the morning then finish my trip with a loop up by Mount Magazine and try out some new twisty roads - certainly NOT the direct route home.

We hear a couple of gobblers in the distance. I'm satisfied because that's more than most people will ever experience. Maybe I'll get one on another trip.

When I continued on my ride today the weather was oddly perfect. Not too hot, not too chilly. The sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. Perfect weather.

On Highway 7 and my 13 Miles Of Sex there were NO cars. None. Perfect traffic.

Had no other small close calls with cars that we all endure on the road. None. Perfect drivers.

Didn't see one State Trooper or city boy on the road today. Perfect.

As I'm processing this on my ride today, another couple of toughts cross my mind:

When my bike was coming to a stop, the road was a small two lane. But as it was gliding to a stop, there was a nice groomed gravel area there on the side of the road like the bike was supposed to have stopped there. Perfect.

The bag chose to fall off the bike on a long, long, straight stretch of road and not in a turn. Perfect.

I'm not sure what this is going to mean to me. I do know one thing, though. I'm not going to stop riding. Thoughts of my mortality are ever mingling with how good the sunshine feels on my skin. And my mind clears again as I hit a curvy part of the road.

So now I have a stiff drink to pour, a hot shower to take, and I'm going to enjoy being at home tonight like I never have before. I'll put in one of my favorite CD's.

A perfect evening.

rocksmoker
04-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Some Pics from my ride this weekend. Some of the bike and it's damage, some from what I saw this weekend.

I mentioned Mount Magazine. Although I was up there I did not see anyone hang gliding. But, there was a guy learning off of a levee at the airport in the valley, but I did not stop to get a picture. Second on my list of regrets. First is not thinking to take pictures of my 'accident' that was not meant to be.

This is a 'motorcycle graveyard' a North of Mena.

http://esport.sportbikes.com/UBBimages/407819-Moto%20Graveyard.jpg

rocksmoker
04-27-2003, 07:49 PM
An interesting trike in Glenwood. Part Volkswagen, part anything else this guy could find. Notice umbrella. :grin:

http://esport.sportbikes.com/UBBimages/407820-Glenwood%20Trike.jpg

rocksmoker
04-27-2003, 07:55 PM
Okay, here's some of the evidence on the bike. The bag was lodged between the swing arm and tire, so it compressed the chain and broke the boot guard mount.

Notice chewed up chain guard mount. I was considering how to remove those anyway. Rather do it in the shop, though.

http://esport.sportbikes.com/UBBimages/407822-Swing%20Arm.JPG

rocksmoker
04-27-2003, 08:00 PM
Picture of phone. Back is kinda chewed up but hard to see black marks without multiple shots.

http://esport.sportbikes.com/UBBimages/407826-Phone%20Front.JPG

rocksmoker
04-27-2003, 08:04 PM
Here's the tire. Notice the wear bars. I've only ridden twice before my trip this weekend. They had less than 500 miles on them. Plus afterwards I put close to over 350 more miles on them. Now they need to be replaced.

I usually expect to get 1,200-1,500 miles out of a BT010.

I really should have gotten a shot of the tire and skid mark. Perhaps I'll get one this weekend of the skid marks - but it'll be an all day trip.

http://esport.sportbikes.com/UBBimages/407827-Tire.JPG

3banger
04-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Wow lad you were able to ride it out. Well done on focusing and rationalizing your way through it. I had friend who had the sleeping bag strapped to the back get sucked into the rear tire at about 100. Is rear tire locked completely so it wore through and popped the tire. He was not wearing much in the way of gear and woke up from a coma 3 days latter.

PS go get some pics of skid mark, you will wish you did later.

BobPurdom
04-28-2003, 03:35 AM
Way to keep the bike upright! If there was anyone who could keep his head, it's the rocksmoker! :waytogo:

I'm really surprised you didn't end up with a huge flat spot on the tire. Did the wheel lock completely up or just get severely restricted?

Just goes to show, $hit happens and you gotta always be ready. If it had been me, I would have had to change my undies!

I managed all of 30 miles on the new Diablos this weekend, but they feel really nice. The steering is quick and they feel like they roll effortlessly -- feel better than the 010's but the test is in the miles to come. I'm hoping to break them in proper next weekend.

deathv_69
04-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Damn tailpacks. Good recovery. :applause: I know someone whom this has happened to, she was also able to ride it out. I've read about this in a bike mag once too. I guess a few extra bungie cords are cheap insurance when using a tailpack.

Jenny
04-28-2003, 10:12 AM
That is an incredible story! It's awesome that you kept a level head through all that and didn't let panic take over. Very impressive :waytogo: :applause:

rocksmoker
04-28-2003, 11:11 AM
Yeah, I'm not too keen on tail packs anymore. It did cross my mind to stap it down or make the bungees tighter, but I thought it'd be okay.

Looking for a STRAPPED tank bag now.....

Putt Putt 3
04-28-2003, 12:30 PM
Way to F-o-c-u-s! :waytogo:

There IS a GOD!! :bow:

996TLR
04-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Congrats for keeping focused and not wrecking...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOING 170MPH WITH A PACK STRAPPED ON THE BACK OF YOUR BIKE!!??

I am not going to preach about safety or anything, but before I would even consider reaching speeds over 120 mph, I'm gonna stack the odds in my favor and the first thing on that safety check is "everything BOLTED securely".

04-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Hey, Rocksmoker I got a bungy net I can sell you real cheep. :wink: Great job on the save, man. I locked my rear wheel the other day too. Didn't even think twice about it. Course I was only doing 15.0 mph at the time..... :grin:

rocksmoker
04-29-2003, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
WHAT ARE YOU DOING GOING 170MPH WITH A PACK STRAPPED ON THE BACK OF YOUR BIKE!!??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I thought it'd be okay. The pack was out of the wind blast but the load in the pack had shifted.

It was a proper tail pack. The seat and cargo bolts are close together. I had shortened the bungees but apparantly not enough.

All the bungee hooks were still attached, by the way.

Think I'll stick with a tank pack or saddlebags.

BobPurdom
04-29-2003, 10:47 AM
There you go again. rocksmoker needs a strap-on!! Any ladies out there wanna help him out? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tongue:

a929rronone
04-30-2003, 05:46 AM
Good one Bob :applause: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BobPurdom
05-01-2003, 03:46 AM
I must admit, J. actually used that one on me before -- more than once. Just thought he had it coming back.

Had a close call of my own. Last weekend, I threw on a set of EBC HH pads up front on the trumpet. An attempt to solve the ever fading brakes. WOW! Monster stoppers. Not a tremendous bite, but it doesn't take much to get these things to grab. Well, yesterday, I was stuck in traffic trying to get home. Got moving a little and then traffic stopped suddenly -- actually, I don't think it stopped so suddenly, something else had gotten my attention for a moment. Anyway, I grabbed a handful of brake as if I were running on the old Triumph stoppers and the front end locked. The bars jerked and the wheel started heading left and the bike right. Only a very fast response saved me spilling out right in front of that hot little number in a red sports car. I got off the brake and rolled to a comfortable stop -- and acted as if nothing had happened! :blush:

I felt like such a rookie. Oh well, live and learn. 1 finger on brake. 1 finger on brake.....

1jeffk
05-01-2003, 05:10 AM
I had a similar experience way back when....so now if it doesnt fit in a back pack it stays home.

rocksmoker
05-01-2003, 11:48 AM
It's okay, Bob. No blood, no foul! Lord knows I can dish it out so I better be able to take it.

Besides, if I needed a strap on I'll just borrow your wife's. DOH! :grin:

Man, in town I always keep a finger on the brake.

Put new brake lines and pads on the 12. Man, it feels REALLY good. Now the Gixxer brakes are soft. Dammit. Yet another project.

I hear ya, Jeff. I'm packing lite on the bike now....

rocksmoker
05-03-2003, 01:41 PM
We now I know what that 'something' was that distracted you...that hot little number in the car, wasn't it? Man, really bad things happen to guys in the pursuit of pu$$ey. Fights, lost money, wrecks.... :grin:

Hey, 929, tell me story of the picture of the girl with the nice personalities. :grin:

a929rronone
05-04-2003, 04:07 PM
Well the pic is of ILL-NaNa who is RideNasty's SoCal co-worker/friend/Rider :waytogo:(God I hate Cali, they have it all :flame:) Her is the two together....oh the fun in Rio :tongue:

http://esport.sportbikes.com/UBBimages/414562-ILLnNasty.jpg

rocksmoker
05-05-2003, 06:03 PM
suh-MOKIN'!