Using rear brake - Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
eNewbie

Using rear brake

I've done a couple of track days this summer, and the instructors gave conflicting opinions on using the rear brake; Some advised using it, while others advised against it. I use the rear brake and feel pretty comfortable with it. What do you guys do - rear brake or not? Anyone have any suggestions on using the rear brake more effectively?

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 07:59 AM
eNewbie

rear brake not used

I personally do not use the rear brake. I think it's just the making of a highside if done incorrectly. The really fast guys that race all the time...self-induce rear tire slide to get the bike pointed down the track in the right direction.

THe front brake has 90% of your braking power. The rear brake is pretty much usless by itself. In race school, I was taught NEVER to use the rear brake.

But if you feel comfortable using the rear brake, I won't tell you not to use it.

Just my opinion.

post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 10:23 AM
eAmateur

Re: rear brake not used

if your bike is capable of doing a stoppie, how can the front brake not deliver 100% of your stopping power?

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
eNewbie

I'm fully confident that the stock brake on the 954 can deliver 100% of the braking power necessary, especially after only 2 track days worth of experience. Way back in the day, however, I use to ride dirt bikes and have become accustomed to using the rear brake. On the road, and track, itís kind of a hard habit to break and I realize that rear braking into the turn-in point could result in a high side if the tire hooks up late. On the track I try and get the bike fully settled before turn-in. On the street, in the rare situation that the rear breaks loose, I ride it out until I feel confident that the rear will hook up without ejecting me.

I guess my question is if I go into a turn a little loose what can be done to prevent a high side? For example, can setting the steering damper firm help prevent a high side?

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 01:57 PM
eNotto

The rear brake can help shed speed midcorner safer than with the front.

Although the only time I really use the rear is to do a brake slide[img]/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Can't sleep...</font color=red><font color=blue>Motoracer</font color=blue>
<font color=red>will eat me...</font color=red>

If I were a gas... I'd be inert.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:45 PM
ePro

I feel that my bike turns in quicker when I usa the rear brake along with more front brake. I also feel that I have more control, but every one I know that rides doesnt use it at all.

Hey my Kawasaki is yellow, man it must of been on sale!
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:00 PM
eNovice

I'm not sure I agree that using the rear brake is a safer way to shed speed mid-corner. You have much less feel and control with your foot and I'd be very reluctant to touch the rear brake after I'm already turned-in, your just begging for a highside. I think you're safer just doing nothing, maintain a constant throttle and look through your turn.
When I'm racing I trail brake into almost every corner, the key is to be smooth in applying and releasing the brakes. As soon as I'm off the brakes I get on the gas and start accelerating. The bike is much more stable if you're on the gas, if you try to coast or let off the throttle in a turn the bike feels like a dump truck.
I think 99% of the time guys feel the need to brake or close the throttle really don't need to, as Keith Code says its just a survival reaction. If you just relax and look through the turn while maintaining a constant throttle you can make it through just fine. The trick is just knowing the limits of yourself and your bike, most track day riders won't lean their bike nearly as far as they could.

"How fast have you had it up to?"...if I had a dime.....[img]/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://www.are51racing.net

"How fast have you had it up to?"...if I had a dime....
www.area51racing.net
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 02:42 PM
eAmateur

I'd have to agree, any braking input, front or rear, mid corner is asking for trouble IMO. Close throttle-brake/downshift-open throttle-turn.

I see no harm in using the rear brake along with the front before your turn-in point, I just don't need to with the RCs brakes.

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 07:08 PM
eNotto

Bare in mind I was not claiming to be an expert in anyway.
It's just what I do. I've had pretty good luck so far[img]/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][knocking on wood][img]/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
And I was refering to trail braking rather than hiting the brake mid coner. Just to clearify

<font color=red>Can't sleep...</font color=red><font color=blue>Motoracer</font color=blue>
<font color=red>will eat me...</font color=red>

If I were a gas... I'd be inert.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-20-2002, 10:26 AM
eNovice

Lordjim, do you open the throttle before you turn-in? I find it take a lot more force to turn the bike in with the throttle open. I start opening the throttle and accelerating after I'm done with my steering input, but thats just me. This is on the track mind you, on the street I think I almost always on the gas during my turn-in.

Notto, I wasn't saying you're wrong and i'm sorry if it sounded that way, everyone has their own style. I just wanted to clarify for some of the less experienced track riders that braking in a turn takes a very soft touch. I wouldn't recommend for anyone who is just learning to ride on the track to use any brakes past their turn-in point.
If you trail brake with the rear then you've got bigger balls than me, I trail with the front because I have more feel using my hand than with my foot on the rear brake. I've have some success racing as an amateur and I've even won a few races and I think the only time I touch the rear brake is when I go sight seeing off the track...not that it happens very often [img]/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

"How fast have you had it up to?"...if I had a dime.....[img]/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
http://www.are51racing.net

"How fast have you had it up to?"...if I had a dime....
www.area51racing.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forums : Sportbikes Motorcycle Racing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page