Sportbike Racing Forum banner

Fast Blinking Turn Signals

2K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  bad_dog 
#1 ·
Hey guys and gals..i just recently took off my LP short stalks on the rear and replaced them with the flushmounts...one problem..the right signal blinks fast but the left side blinks normal speed...at first i put the right signal on and it blinked regular speed but few seconds later it starts to blink fast..i tried to switch wires but no go..again the left side is fine..what can it be?? thks

See less See more
#4 ·
i've had similar problems. it's due to the added wattage or is it amperage(?) i dunno, it's because it's stronger...how bout that?

it's actually normal. what i've done to compensate for it is turn it on and off in hopes of letting it learn the timing on itself. it worked on the left side, but hasn't yet on the right.

and the funny thing is...my signals go from normal to fast to normal to fast again...it looks pretty stupid when i'm at a stoplight

#6 ·
That is not normal, I had the same problem on my f3 when I replaced my front turn signal and couldn't figure out why one side was at warp speed. I checked the wires and finally on the third time reconfiguring the freaking wires it was back to normal. So just keep fiddling with the wires, almost positive their crossed.

#8 ·
I have some lockhart flush mounts. These particular ones have three wires. One is the ground, one is for the blinker, and one is for the running light. If I hook up the wrong one (the running light) to the blinker circuit it does not blink correctly. Maybe you have the same problem?

Einstein says high speed slows time, so go fast, stay young!
http://home.satx.rr.com/jroberts

#11 ·
The standard thermal-mechanical flasher module is basically a self-reseting circuit breaker that opens the lamp circuit when current flowing through the breaker causes it to get hot, then it closes the circuit automatically after a second when it cools off. Once current is flowing through the circuit again, the cycle repeats. This causes the lamps to blink.

<font color=blue>
You might have a bulb that is shorted out </font color=blue>
(i.e. the blinker filament might be touching the marker-lamp filamnet in the same bulb. Try removing each bulb and see if the blinker slows down (or stops) that would be the bad bulb.

If you have a bulb out, the lamps will blink <font color=blue>faster*</font color=blue>.

(edited by BD 6/4)

#13 ·
i dont have the problem with the 3 wires...it all started when i changed the rear ones...i had short talks all the way around and recently switch to hi mount pipe so i needed the flush mounts . when i installed the rear which are only 2 wires the right one started blinkin fast..the left is fine.

#17 ·
I had a similar problem on my first bike (Suzuki Across). All the signals flashed faster, I later discovered my battery was on its way out, replaced it, and the signals went back to their normal speed.

Go figure - This completely contradicts bad_dog's too much current theory. I'm not saying you're wrong bad_dog!

#19 ·
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Go figure - This completely contradicts bad_dog's too much current theory. I'm not saying you're wrong bad_dog!

<hr></blockquote>

In every vehicle I have ever had, if one signal lamp was out, the other on that side would blink faster. This was just re-confirmed on the F4 yesterday. His theory is almost right, just but backwards.

{edit} but backwards? that's a typo, and no, it wasn't supposed to be "butt backwards", just backwards.
Bad Dog, you the man! for going out and checking on your own bike.

#20 ·
OK, you guys were right. I went out to the garage and removed the bulb from one of my turn signals and it does blink faster. Sorry for the error. /images/icons/frown.gif (Good thing I didn't give up my day job)

If you are blowing fuses and you melted your turn signal, then I guess you found that you have a short there. BTW its a good idea to identify what causes a fuse to blow before you replace it, and don't replace it with a higher current fuse, or you'll probably cause worse problems

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.